Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the spark plugs don't know how long they've been in this engine...they were very hard to get out...was very dry and the old spark plugs were what I would say...rusty.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
264 Posts
The first few turns removing my old spark plugs were kinda rough.
Might not've been the best idea but I sprayed a bit of PB Blaster in the holes and that seemed to help.

Did you have original spark plugs?
Mine were labelled NGK-R (4 prong), but I believe the OE parts still had the BMW stamp, no?

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine were labelled NGK-R (4 prong), but I believe the OE parts still had the BMW stamp, no?[/QUOTE]

yep, same here...
probably were the originals. However, I just bought some with the BMW stamp 4 prongs plugs. But the past owners of the 04 were business owners and they cared for the car very much...I think they got tired of paying for the scheduled maintenance then the rear drive shaft went bad...they took it to the dealer as they usually do and the dealer mostlikely scared the hell out of them with the cost of removing and installing the rear drive shaft. They concluded that they've poured too much money into it and it's time to get out (typical)...this is just my speculation.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
15,210 Posts
- The trick with old spark plug: undo it just a bit, maybe 1/4 turn, then STOP.
- Spray some WD-40 or PB Blaster down the hole and let it sit for about 2-3 minutes.
- This prevents stripping the threads, also the spark plugs come out much easier.

- During install, I use a tiny bit of anti-seize (the equivalent of "a drop of water").

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine were labelled NGK-R (4 prong), but I believe the OE parts still had the BMW stamp, no?[/QUOTE]
Got it thanks 20190220_180609.jpeg

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mine were labelled NGK-R (4 prong), but I believe the OE parts still had the BMW stamp, no?
Got it thanks View attachment 840855

Hmm.. I guess mine were changed at some point.
They seemed fine, but I had a pretty bad misfire 2 weeks ago, so for $20 new NGKs were a no-brainer.

Previous-previous owner (before the neglectful one I bought it from), changed the clutch at 105k mi, and the TC gear actuator + TC fluid.
Car seems to be in pretty good condition otherwise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts