BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I have 335xi and I am thinking of trading it for 535xi for more space. I wanted to ask few questions about it :-

a) Is the ride better or worse with the sport package .
b) Should I wait to get 5 series to let bmw work out all the kinks in the first year of the model.
c) Packages I will get probably are premium , sport , heated and satellite radio. :)

·
Kaos
167 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I pulled the trigger now as BMW has been building the 5 since March 2010 and has already made quite a number of changes/upgrades. Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,845 Posts
I had an '05 330i then an '08 335i, then "moved up" to an '11 535i back in September. When I say what I'm going to, don't get me wrong, I love my F10 and it's a whole lot more car than the 3. That's just it though, don't go to a 5 thinking it's just a larger 3. It's a whole different car in a different league. I have the base suspension (like my previous 3's) and the ride is way more refined than my 335i, in a good way, IMO. It's very quiet, and though it is very smooth, it is still taut, not floaty, and the car handles very good for its larger size. I'm just repeating, be sure you're ready for a more sophisticated and refined automobile, perhaps less of a sporting edge. Can't speak to the DHP (sport suspension) setup, haven't driven it.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I had an '05 330i then an '08 335i, then "moved up" to an '11 535i back in September. When I say what I'm going to, don't get me wrong, I love my F10 and it's a whole lot more car than the 3. That's just it though, don't go to a 5 thinking it's just a larger 3. It's a whole different car in a different league. I have the base suspension (like my previous 3's) and the ride is way more refined than my 335i, in a good way, IMO. It's very quiet, and though it is very smooth, it is still taut, not floaty, and the car handles very good for its larger size. I'm just repeating, be sure you're ready for a more sophisticated and refined automobile, perhaps less of a sporting edge. Can't speak to the DHP (sport suspension) setup, haven't driven it.
Mark nailed it. This car has old school Lexus build quality but refined BMW feel. I really love it. Def not the go cart feel of my old e46 (which don't get me wrong was awesome!) but still handles well for it's size.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Yup, Mark is correct. As I said in my "thoughts from a 328 loaner" thread, the car is closer to a small 7 than a big 3. The E60 and E39 were the opposite. Now, depending on what you're after, that's either a good thing or a bad thing. For me, it was a good thing, a decision confirmed by driving an E90 328 for a week. My thoughts on the E90: great car, if the space works for you and you want something that errs on the side of sporty. The F10 is still very capable, it just doesn't tell you that all the time.

As for your other questions, the bugs are worked out by now. Ride with the sport package is largely the same - the sport package does not change the suspension, but the tires are larger. (also, on my alignment printout, it notes that the suspension is "lowered" on the Sport with DHP. Not sure which part is doing the lowering).

·
Registered
403 Posts
The last 4 posts explained the differences with eloquence and were spot on. I came from '02 330xi and could not agree more with the comparisons they made. Took the words right out of my mouth.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Does anyone has 535xi with sports package. Wanted to see how it handles in the snow..
I have 535i with sport and DHP. Ran Conti DWS's in the snow this summer and it was great.

·
Registered
18,190 Posts
i had an '05 330i then an '08 335i, then "moved up" to an '11 535i back in september. When i say what i'm going to, don't get me wrong, i love my f10 and it's a whole lot more car than the 3. That's just it though, don't go to a 5 thinking it's just a larger 3. It's a whole different car in a different league. I have the base suspension (like my previous 3's) and the ride is way more refined than my 335i, in a good way, imo. It's very quiet, and though it is very smooth, it is still taut, not floaty, and the car handles very good for its larger size. I'm just repeating, be sure you're ready for a more sophisticated and refined automobile, perhaps less of a sporting edge. Can't speak to the dhp (sport suspension) setup, haven't driven it.
+1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts