BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an excellent deal (at least I thought so - 3.5% above invoice) on an 06 325i. They also treated me well on my trade in (2005 C6 Corvette - paid $41,510 and got $37,000 15 months later, plus no sales tax on the BMW).

My question/dilemma - Will the 325 compare to the Vette? Obviously the C6 is much, much quicker - but the main reason I am considering the deal is beacase the Vette has had a TON of problems (the worst being that my roof flew off while driving on the highway the least being little creeks/noises when hitting minor bumps).

Pretty confused to say the least :dunno:

·
Registered
614 Posts
mapsbmw said:
You may want to consider the 330i or an '07 335i.
I agree, but the answer to your original questions is "NO." I can't think of a BMW product that would compare to a Corvette. A Viper maybe, but not a BMW.

·
Registered
324 Posts
mapsbmw said:
You may want to consider the 330i or an '07 335i.
+1

I purchased a 325i and I know it's great for me, but if you want something that compares to the Corvette, you might want to bump up to a 330 or 335.

·
10,856 Posts
None of the 3'er offerings are going to compare to the Corvette in the power or handling departments. There's no real need to bother yourself with the uprated engines. The 3 series offers decent handling, decent comfort, decent reliability, and low cost of ownership.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
None of the 3'er offerings are going to compare to the Corvette in the power or handling departments. There's no real need to bother yourself with the uprated engines. The 3 series offers decent handling, decent comfort, decent reliability, and low cost of ownership.
hey Nick! silverspeck from LJ bmwclub saying hello :wave: :wave:

·
10,856 Posts
smytheee said:
hey Nick! silverspeck from LJ bmwclub saying hello :wave: :wave:
Hiya. :)

·
In vino veritas
3,374 Posts
The 3 series is a glorified family sedan. It's nowhere near fast nor remarkably agile, but it does combine some sporting characteristics into a relatively practical package. At the very least, you're not going to attract any unusual attention if you show up with one at an autocross.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I think a 330i would have been a better replacement for your C6....

No matter what, you're not going to get the massive chunk of V8 torque, so you might miss that. None of that loud exhaust rumble either......BMW hushed that up even more with the 3-series recently. It'll handle differently, not necessarily worse.

That said, you'll find the 3-series a pretty practical sports sedan that can do a lot of things very well. And hopefully (likely) it'll be much more reliable than your vette. That "roof flying off" part was pretty scary...........

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just My Opinion.

I think U should get a used M3. It will be alot closer to what your used to and a used one will run you about the same $$$$. The 325i is more of a famliy car. Very reliable but very little punch....330i is a step closer and the M3 will perform the best with a touch of class.....good luck

·
Bimmer Dreamer
514 Posts
mfasa said:
I think U should get a used M3. It will be alot closer to what your used to and a used one will run you about the same $$$$. The 325i is more of a famliy car. Very reliable but very little punch....330i is a step closer and the M3 will perform the best with a touch of class.....good luck
+1 :thumbup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
As a current owner of a '05 C6 (see signature) and the owner of a '06 325xi, I think I can speak from experience. The C6 & the 325 are both excellent cars in their market. They are, however, in completely different markets. The C6 is a world class sports car with fantastic styling, horsepower, gas mileage and is the best value on the road. On the other hand, the 325 is a well engineered performance sports sedan. Sorry to hear about your problems with the C6. Hopefully, all of your problems are covered through warrantee. I've owned four Corvettes ('78, '96, '98 & '05) and have not had a single problem with any of them. Keep the C6 and get a 325!!!!:thumbup:

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Huh?

So you're the one with the roof that flew off! I am sorry to hear it guy but a BMW 3 Series... You got to be joking right? Don't look at cost alone to value your opinion on a replacement for your C6.

If you want a comparable car you have to look at and drive the ///M class of cars. So if you are serious, pop on over to the e63 ///M sub-forum. I must warn you that the cost to own such a prestigous high performance car will far surpass the 45-50K you spent on the C6.

///M6 Specs:
weight = 3909lbs.
distribution = 50/50 Front/Rear
engine= 5 litre, V10, 4 valves per Cylinder
HP = 500 at 7750RPM
Torque = 383 at 6100RPM
Cd = .32
Transmission = 7 speed SMG
Carbon fibre roof (-90lbs.)

So do you think this BMW compares? If so, you will have to fork over some 96K if you are lucky to get this Beast for oor at MSRP.

I wish you luck but don't go down the path of a 3 Series.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
coming from a vette even the 330 is going to feel slow so why not save the money and pick the 325, that's what I did too (from an M3, though, not a vette)

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
I'm with the guy who advised to get a 335, in European Delivery. It will have a similar price to your US-ordered 325, you will get to take an unforgettable trip to Europe in your brand new car, and the 335 has at least the potential for 400HP or so (twin-turbo).

adc
03 330 ZHP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.