BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent a week in sterling va. on vacation. Saw all the sights in D.C.. Loved the winding twisting roads,just beautiful. What I can't figure out is how can people enjoy driving in bumper to bumper:dunno:. Dang traffics nasty down there. Even a week-day drive to Gettysburg was a slow commute. I know traffics bad in cities but even in rual areas? Made me wonder where people go to air out their cars. Track days?? Beautiful country but better have lots of patience.

·
///M Coupe Pilot
258 Posts
Correct. Track Days.

Traffic is brutal and the construction due to the Metro expansion to Dulles Airport makes it all the worse.

·
Meinkugelschmerzen
281 Posts
If you live in DC, then Summit Point in WV is the closest track. VIR is only a few of hours away and the drive through central Virginia cannot be beat. Not a lot of traffic once you get south and west of Richmond. Come on down to Williamsburg or drive out to Charlottesville or Lexington on your next visit. A lot of Colonial and Civil War history connected by some of the best driving roads anywhere.

·
///M Coupe Pilot
258 Posts
NJMP is also about 3 hours away from DC. BeaveRun which is outside of Pittsburgh is about a 4.5 hour drive - about the same for me to get to VIR. I will give BR a try next year. Perhaps the real reason I did 20+ track days this year was because of the DC traffic and not because I love driving the ///M Coupe so much... :dunno:

http://www.beaverun.com/
http://njmp.com/

·
///M 'n it up!
1,738 Posts
I agree, the traffic around here is horrendous; but then, I grew up in small town Texas.

In fact, the traffic around here is so bad, I quit my onsite contractor job with XM last year. I'm now working from home on several different contracts. My commute in the morning is "pants"; and even that is optional.

·
///M Coupe Pilot
258 Posts
I work from home or drive against traffic to Dulles airport. I am very fortunate to rarely have to sit in DC traffic. Ironically, the only time I do sit in traffic is if I am leaving town to go to a track event...

·
Resident Pilot
1,778 Posts
I grew up in Burke and moved out to Centreville (both Northern VA). I hate the traffic, but you adjust to the driving style and can get through some of it. Having lived out in AZ for a year, I'd almost argue that the traffic is worse there. It isn't so much volume, slow-the-whole-road-down traffic. It's the annoying, spaced out, let's-all-pace-each-other-across-3-lanes traffic. One is just too many people trying to get to/from work on roads that can't accommodate it, the other is a bunch of inconsiderate idiots in their own world.

WIND, next time you're down here, drag whoever's with you out to the Blue Ridge Parkway, especially in the fall. Do it on a weekday, though, so you don't get all of the slower drivers. It's mostly a 45 road if I remember correctly, but 45 is fast enough to feel fun on the road, while at the same time allowing you to take in the autumn views.

tnsbruce, what do you do up at IAD?

·
///M Coupe Pilot
258 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts