BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with a trailer hitch on an X3? What does it look like, and is there any modifications to the rear rocker panel to accommodate the ball? The only package I can find is the BMW option. No aftermarket. Dealer wants over $700. I just want to use my bike carrier, which is hitch mounted.

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
On my 05, you have to cut out the rear panel to fit the hitch. Try U Haul or others for a quote or you could try one of the advertisers in Roundel for the hitch and try it yourself although I do not recommend it..

Cheers

·
Registered
98 Posts
Self Install

Your lucky, my dealer wanted over $1000. I installed mine myself, 2 hours on a Saturday morning. BMW hitch cost $370 from Bavarian Autosport. Been using it for 18 months, works great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an 06 and my dealer wanted $1000 to do the job. I wanted the unit for the same reason (biking) so I went to the www.draw-tite.com website and ordered a class III unit from an installation shop and paid $175 installed to have it done. This does not include the wiring harness however that was not important to me. The rear facia does need to be trimmed and the advise I will give is to make sure that the facia is trimmed close as they would normally cut additional area for the mounting of the wiring harness.
It works and looks great

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have a 06 and was originally planning to go to the dealer to install the bmw hitch kit, but was quoted 800 for labor (about 5 hours). i then checked with one of the local shops, said they would charge for 2 hours for labor only, but later that sales guy could not find a hitch from his catalog for an 06 (his catalog only shows hitch made for 05). thus, i am thinking of ordering the bmw trailer hitch kit from a dealer, and then bring that to the shop and have them install only the hitch portion (i don't need the wiring harness for now).
do you think that makes sense? or, i can just go to the local shop and have them order a hitch listed for model year 05 and it will fit for a year 06?

stolleee, would you have a pic to share? wonder where in the bumper do they install the hitch.

thanks so much!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Installation Instructions

I have a .pdf of the installation instructions for the BMW hitch for my 04. I believe 05 is the same. Unfortunately it is 520 kb which over the allowable attachement size for this forum.

Suggested installation time on page one of the instructions is 1 1/2 hours. I can't believe what the dealers are quoting for this.

I would be glad to e-mail the .pdf to anyone who would like it.

·
Banned
9 Posts
aeclubine said:
Does anyone have any experience with a trailer hitch on an X3? What does it look like, and is there any modifications to the rear rocker panel to accommodate the ball? The only package I can find is the BMW option. No aftermarket. Dealer wants over $700. I just want to use my bike carrier, which is hitch mounted.
There is available DIY article about trailer hitch installation in X3world web page:

http://www.x3world.com/articles/x3/...nstall-bmw-factory-trailer-hitch-2006-x3.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
U-Haul. Much cheaper and since no electrical connections needed, much cheaper. I did the same with my Touareg and MDX. I used it only for my bikes. Both were like $100 for the hitch and $80 installation. Good luck I am planning on doing the same in my future X3 (delivery, next week).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts