BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still planning out my ED....

I'm thinking about staying in Mestre and going to Venice via train, that way I can be with my car. I wanted to stay in Lido, but I can't find a nice hotel at a resonable price...

Anyway, I read that the train from Mestre to Venice takes something like 8 minutes.....but does anyone know the cost? and how late does it run?

Thanks,
-Wajih

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mestre is well connected by frequent buses to Venice that are also cheap. It is really a suburb of Venice. ....and so expect transportation to be cheap from there to Venice. I think I paid 4 or 5 E for a return fare. Buses were every 15 min and the last bus was at about 1am. Take note that this was for Bus #19. There were a number of other buses some I understand were an all night service.

·
Grabastic Slug
356 Posts
wajiheffendi said:
I'm still planning out my ED....

I'm thinking about staying in Mestre and going to Venice via train, that way I can be with my car. I wanted to stay in Lido, but I can't find a nice hotel at a resonable price...

Anyway, I read that the train from Mestre to Venice takes something like 8 minutes.....but does anyone know the cost? and how late does it run?

Thanks,
-Wajih
I sort of did the same thing, but stayed in Abano Terme instead of Mestre (I heard it was safer). A. Terme was sort of like a resort for geriatric German tourists, so we really didn't enjoy the town. Don't get me wrong -- I have nothing against octagenarians, Germans or tourists -- I just don't relate well to any of those groups.

Anyway, my overall impression was that I wished that I had just parked the car at one of the hotels in Abano Terme (which was very safe, almost sleepy), taken the train into Venice and STAYED in Venice. After a long day of walking around and seeing the sites, it was a pain in the rear to get on the train and head back.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Would it be advisible to simply leave the vehicle in the relatively safe parking structure at the new Venice airport, and then take a water taxi into the city and/or Lido? The last time I was there I was coming from the airport, no new BMW to deal with.

The web site for the airport lists available slots, and the prices seem reasonable for not having to worry about things for the duration of a short trip to Venice. Thoughts? Or would a typical parking structure before Venice be fine?

ps - http://www.veniceairport.it/parcheggi.jhtml?lan=en

·
Registered
5 Posts
Venice

Stayed in the Plaza Hotel In Mestre A good hotel to stay in with parking for 15 euros a night in a garage.. Theylet us park the car and then take our keys.. 3 euros and about 7 minutes to get to the pretty good hotel. booked through hotels.com

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Venice parking options

If you want to stay in Venice proper, there are several options. The garages at Piazzale Roma and nearby have web info and online booking. URL: http://www.comune.venezia.it/accessi/mobilita/auto_eng.asp
I used the big one many years ago and found it confusing with very tight spaces.

For my trip two years ago, I was sent to the Mattiazzo Parking Service,which is used by several of the major hotels. You drive to their door (stay right at the end of the bridge, look for a turnout with several storefronts on the right). You reserve with them, drive up, they take you to the water bus or taxi in your car, and then take it to a guarded garage. (Or not, but it all worked for us.) When you are ready to leave, you call them two hours in advance, and they pick you up at the dock. I think it was about 30-40 Euros per night, which is steep, but everything worked perfectly. Here are the details:
"Available at Piazzale Roma at the Mattiazzo Parking Service office from 8:00 am to 12:30 pm and from 3:00 pm to 7:30 pm. Tel: 041 528 9494. Your car will be parked in a garage under surveillance during your stay in Venice. It will be brought back to Piazzale Roma to meet you on your departure."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Venice parking options

May I suggest you stay in a small town called Treviso. It's on the same train route as the train traveling between Venice St. Lucia (the station in the center of Old Venice) and Mestre, the industrial section of Venice. Treviso is 15 minutes further from Mestre in the direction opposite to Venice. Stay at the Hotel Carlton, which has it's own parking lot in back and is within a 3 minute walk from Treviso train station. There is a heck of a restaurant next door, L'Incontro (The Encounter). The rate is about 120 Euros. although I pay a "corporate rate" of 90 Euros, due to the large, local company I visit. http://www.hotelcarlton.it/

I have been there dozens of times and highly recommend staying there rather than anywhere near the overpriced hotels in and around Venezia.

See http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html for train schedules. Last train out of Venezia S.L. is 11:56 PM.. The price is about 5 Euros one way, 2nd class. Time - 1/2 hr. - when they are not on strike. :yikes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
We stayed in a wonderful B&B in Favaro Veneto which is out near Mestre. A little closer in I think. The bus was E1.50, more or less to the door, and ran every 15 mins. Parked at the house in a courtyard behind an automatic gate.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ray,

Actually, I think I had taken your recommendation. The place that I stayed at was bbvenice.com. Their website is here

Did you stay here too. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
We stayed on Lido and you can park there.

However, we parked our car at the large parking garage right at the Grand Canal which was an interesting experience -- we were told to go to level 3 and see the attendant who said we had to leave the keys -- which I would not do -- I have him 10 Euros and he found a spot for me to park the car and take the keys. You can take your car on the ferry to Lido where it is quite safe and some of the hotels have their own parking. We used Hotels.com and stayed at the Hote LeBoulevard which was beautiful, had their own parking but it was tight, and had their own reserved area at the beach which was nice and is on the Adriatic. If you use Hotels.com you pay for the hotel in advance in dollars and everything is taken care of when so you won't get ripped by the hotel for more money.

·
Registered
122 Posts
exaggerated threat

when we went to venice I parked the new 325i('04)in the self service garage(starts with a t?)and there were plenty of nicer cars there. I don't know if there is a difference in parking in a garage or in a tight,hotel space.if anyone is interested,we rented an apt. for 100e per nite-its modern in an old building,in a real neighborhood,prett convenient.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts