BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
swinging a big stick
Joined
·
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never thought much about which to do. Dealers seem to want to do a tranny flush on a high mile car. My independent shop (for my Integra) says that's a bad idea because it knocks around embedded dirt/particles. Who's right?
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
I never understand the people who recommend leaving old fluids in because it'll knock stuff loose. If you were smart you change it often enough with good stuff so that never happens to begin with.
 

·
swinging a big stick
Joined
·
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kaz said:
I never understand the people who recommend leaving old fluids in because it'll knock stuff loose. If you were smart you change it often enough with good stuff so that never happens to begin with.
IN all honesty though, I've not been a very good owner to my Integra and havent changed the fluids in a while. Does that change anything?
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
LA525iT said:
IN all honesty though, I've not been a very good owner to my Integra and havent changed the fluids in a while. Does that change anything?
The bad part of stuff knocking loose is that they could get jammed inside somewhere and wreck it. OTOH if the stuff dislodges on its own, you're just as bad off.
 

·
Living on the redline
Joined
·
27,238 Posts
I have a good friend in the trans business, he says to drain, not flush

those flushing are just marketing bs to get more money out of your pocket, there's no way to flush the trans without the new and the old fluids mixing together :rolleyes:
 

·
an audience of One
Joined
·
7,853 Posts
TeamM3 said:
I have a good friend in the trans business, he says to drain, not flush

those flushing are just marketing bs to get more money out of your pocket, there's no way to flush the trans without the new and the old fluids mixing together :rolleyes:
I was under the impression that a flush is worth the cost for auto trannys. A flush wastes a good amount of new fluid; you keep flushing until the oil no longer looks contaminated. Also, a flush ensures the torque converter is drained as well. I'm probably wrong...

-Mark
 

·
M Mad
Joined
·
10,475 Posts
What I do, if I have left a tranny extra time, or when switching from standard ATF to Mobil 1 ATF is to do multlple changes.

Figure that a normal tranny holds about 8 quarts. You can change about 3 quarts. So first change changes about 37.5% of the old fluid for fresh. Next change gets rid of 37.5% or the remaining 62.5% or another 23.4% of the original fluid for a total of about 61% changed in two changes.

Third change does another 14.7% for over 75% changed for fresh. Of course each change does change out some of the "new" fluid for newer fluid.

Do one each weekend for 3 weekends and you have changed out the majority of the fluid.
 

·
swinging a big stick
Joined
·
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
philippek said:
Sounds like you need to trade it in for a Z4.

:D
Maldives blue Z4 3.0 or Oxidized silver Integra 1.8.... I'll have to think about that one :rofl: :rofl:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top