BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
19,585 Miles
Joined
·
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I change out my tranny, differential and brake fluids annually along with other things.
Since I changed out the differential early to add the temperature sender, might as well do the transmission too. Wanted to do it anyway to try the BMW new MTF-LT-2 fluid which some claim is better than LT-1 along with adding the saftey wire drain plug.
Also at 31,500 over due on the 15K fuel filter change.
Also my stock clutch line had oil on the front of it. I assumed I had a leak and it was ending up on the front of the clutch hose. Went back and forth trying to find out where the leak was. Finally added some gaffers tape to the hose and it's the hose that is weeping.
I had somone make up a stainless steel clutch hose the same length as stock. They also covered it with an insulated (temp wise) covering. Will be installing it some time next week.
The point of this post is the hole. Didn't realize that there was a notch in the threaded hole. Must be a drain thing.



 

·
Living on the redline
Joined
·
27,238 Posts
you might want to consider rewording the thread title, a couple of people who hang out in OT might get all worked up over nothing :eek: :eeps: :angel:
 

·
19,585 Miles
Joined
·
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worked Up

TeamM3 said:
you might want to consider rewording the thread title, a couple of people who hang out in OT might get all worked up over nothing :eek: :eeps: :angel:
I have no control of the thread title once it's done. I decided the title.
The worked up couple deserve to get worked up over nothing.
 

·
Investigative Tinkerer
Joined
·
5,011 Posts
Ron Stygar said:
... Also at 31,500 over due on the 15K fuel filter change...
You finally surpassed me on mileage; my 01 was 30,891 yesterday when I had the exhaust cam sensor replaced under warranty.

Last Friday night on our way home from the Motor City BMWCCA President's Dinner (Detroit Chapter) I got a SES (check engine) light. It had cleared prior to me taking it in, but the faults were stored in the DME's memory.

Let us know your impression of the transmission fluid; cold/hot shift characteristics and gear whine (ear to the shift knob__but not while in motion!).
 

·
Living on the redline
Joined
·
27,238 Posts
edit->copy->delete->new post->paste->retitle->submit


and don't be pulling that grouchy old man crap on me like you do aty :eek: life just isn't that serious pal :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,073 Posts
Ron Stygar said:
I had somone make up a stainless steel clutch hose the same length as stock. They also covered it with an insulated (temp wise) covering. Will be installing it some time next week.
Please post more about this once you get it in.

The people from OT who will be irritated are the same ones who think you don't need a pump to change tranny fluid.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Dare I ask how many hours you spent cleaning the undercarriage?
 

·
M Mad
Joined
·
10,475 Posts
It has never been dirty. :)

Actually Nick put the new stuff in his SMG tranny and likes it. He graciously donated enough to me to do the same, and I will report back once I get it in.
 

·
Investigative Tinkerer
Joined
·
5,011 Posts
Pinecone said:
It has never been dirty. :)
That's what I was going to say ;)
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Pinecone said:
It has never been dirty. :)

Actually Nick put the new stuff in his SMG tranny and likes it. He graciously donated enough to me to do the same, and I will report back once I get it in.
It actually might eb enough for you to do two cars. No guarantees on that one, though.

Since I'm pretty sure that I actually just had the wrong fluid in my car (thanks to the dealer when the tranny was replaced), I may buy another jug and flush it through pretty thoroughly.
 

·
19,585 Miles
Joined
·
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Randy Forbes said:
You finally surpassed me on mileage; my 01 was 30,891 yesterday when I had the exhaust cam sensor replaced under warranty.

Last Friday night on our way home from the Motor City BMWCCA President's Dinner (Detroit Chapter) I got a SES (check engine) light. It had cleared prior to me taking it in, but the faults were stored in the DME's memory.

Let us know your impression of the transmission fluid; cold/hot shift characteristics and gear whine (ear to the shift knob__but not while in motion!).
What part number did they replace it with? 12 14 2 249 320 used to cede to a new number but now it doesn't.
Like the guy from Roadfly said, MTF-LT-2 is a noticable difference. Hard to believe.
It's like you long shifted the car.

 

·
Investigative Tinkerer
Joined
·
5,011 Posts
Ron Stygar said:
What part number did they replace it with? 12 14 2 249 320 used to cede to a new number but now it doesn't.
The part number on the work order is 13 62 2 249 320 pulse generator

Joss' comment at the end (b1tch to change sensor in car) was that if the code returns (or is still present upon startup), the wheel on the camshaft is suspect.
 

·
19,585 Miles
Joined
·
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Randy Forbes said:
The part number on the work order is 13 62 2 249 320 pulse generator

Joss' comment at the end (b1tch to change sensor in car) was that if the code returns (or is still present upon startup), the wheel on the camshaft is suspect.
Will be changing mine soon. A common failure item. Looks like you can get it from below.



 

·
19,585 Miles
Joined
·
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Dare I ask how many hours you spent cleaning the undercarriage?
The Z3's not coming across the ocean are pretty clean underneath as received.
Powder coat some things and don't drive it in winter weather and it basically stays that way without much effort. I drive my car in winter, but not in winter weather.
Having no leaks helps too.
Southern cars are cleaner but anything rubber is shot based on the ones I've been under.
Jen's NJ '99 M coupe with 50K miles and no attention underneath was relatively clean. Obviously not driven in winter weather. Minor oil leak on the tranny selector shaft.
 

·
19,585 Miles
Joined
·
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Randy Forbes said:
The part number on the work order is 13 62 2 249 320 pulse generator
Obviously I got the part number off the item 12 14 2 249 320 in my first pic. The EPC shows 13 62 2 249 320 which I show in the following pics. Have no clue why the cede doesn't show anymore. Will check my orders attempting to get the ceded one.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top