BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all i am new to the Bimmerfest site. I wanted to know if anyone had any advice for me with my problem. i Drive a 1994 530i has exactly 220000 miles on it and i have a tranny issue. when i come to a stop it slips out of gear. i have to rev it a little to get it to go back into gear. i have changed my tranny mounts and it did not help. please help!!!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
from my previous experience with trannys, if its a money issue...
#1 drive it until it breaks :thumbup: my last car lasted 3yrs with a slipping tranny
#2 find a parts car or just buy another car! sometimes fixing the tranny will be the same as buying yourself another used one, so it really depends on how much you want to keep her!:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
no, no, no, NO!

You need two things:

Turbine Speed Sensor ($39 at the dealer)
and
Full Tranny Flush.

Just went through this last week. Slips into N at a stop sign, give it a gas, and it pops right back in correct?

Also get on the highway and see if you romp on it, it should downshift and then NOT want to shift back up. If that happens, simply slide your A/M Switch from Auto to Manual, and then Back to Auto, if it shifts back into the correct gear, then do the above two steps.

The transmission is having trouble realizing the engine speed and doesnt know what gear to be in.

Everything cost me $250. And yes, everyone including Aamco wanted to sell me a $2500 Transmission

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tranny issue

Thanks for all the help guys i will do the tranny flush and let you know what happens also i needs new motor mounts. know where i can get them?:p

·
Sleeper
430 Posts
whats a turnine speed sensor? tranny speed sensor?

no, no, no, NO!

You need two things:

Turbine Speed Sensor ($39 at the dealer)
and
Full Tranny Flush.

Just went through this last week. Slips into N at a stop sign, give it a gas, and it pops right back in correct?

Also get on the highway and see if you romp on it, it should downshift and then NOT want to shift back up. If that happens, simply slide your A/M Switch from Auto to Manual, and then Back to Auto, if it shifts back into the correct gear, then do the above two steps.

The transmission is having trouble realizing the engine speed and doesnt know what gear to be in.

Everything cost me $250. And yes, everyone including Aamco wanted to sell me a $2500 Transmission

·
Sleeper
430 Posts
thanks for the response,

my wifes 540 start to acts up recently, trans failsafe prog 2-3 times out of 10 starts with abs light on too. i pulled 2 codes p0600(communication link), p1747(can bus monitoring). its likely that the TCM has problems communicate with DME and i look at the diagram and acknowledge that bad trans control switch and trans speed sensor might caused the communication error, trying to get few opinions. what does a turbine sensor do? will it cause a check engine light? thanks in advance for any inputs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
thanks for the response,

my wifes 540 start to acts up recently, trans failsafe prog 2-3 times out of 10 starts with abs light on too. i pulled 2 codes p0600(communication link), p1747(can bus monitoring). its likely that the TCM has problems communicate with DME and i look at the diagram and acknowledge that bad trans control switch and trans speed sensor might caused the communication error, trying to get few opinions. what does a turbine sensor do? will it cause a check engine light? thanks in advance for any inputs.
How old is the battery? Sounds electrical... also check the Fuel Pump Relay and DME Relay right next to the TCM under the hood

·
Sleeper
430 Posts
i replaced the battery for her last week, since the replacement the same problem has happened only once, especially when she parked on the hill. the relay and fuses all has been check on the passenger side of the the ac cabinet. now i'm running outta ideas what could be go wrong, dont really want to sent it to the dealer if possible. when that false start happened, the temperature gauge swings left n right and rpm gauge dont work, its has to be restart few times to ge ta right start up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like you got lots of good advice, mostly alot of it l will use myself on my 94' 540i with like symptoms. Good luck to all!

·
Registered
84 Posts
i replaced the battery for her last week, since the replacement the same problem has happened only once, especially when she parked on the hill. the relay and fuses all has been check on the passenger side of the the ac cabinet. now i'm running outta ideas what could be go wrong, dont really want to sent it to the dealer if possible. when that false start happened, the temperature gauge swings left n right and rpm gauge dont work, its has to be restart few times to ge ta right start up.
Sounds like you know your stuff, which shuts me down LOL

How about the main ground strap?

·
Shiz Niz
107 Posts
There is something that still confuses me, BMW cars are supposed to be strong and durable. But why is it when you come to one of the most important part of the car (the tranny) you get all these problems and confusions like don***8217;t service the transmission just use the car until the tranny dies, or sometimes you get told to service the tranny but you must be very selective to what ATF fluid to use, and if you do service the tranny after a while it starts to break down.
So if you don***8217;t service the transmission it will die on you and if you do service it, it will still die on you.
But if you look at Toyota cars, they tell you to service the transmission every 10,000kph with Dex III and you will be ok.

·
The Biggest P0st Whore!!
2,912 Posts
BMW did not make these transmissions. If you are going to service them you should do it on a regular schedule starting from when the trans is new (or recently rebuilt). If you wait 100k miles and do a service the change in viscosity and removal of suspended clutch material usually pushes it over the edge (not that it was far from it to begin with).

It is not so much a problem with BMW as it is a problem with the automatic trans in general. If you get a manual it will give you less trouble (I wish I had one).

Changing your trans fluid every 10,000 KM seems excessive. You should be able to double or triple that distance safely.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Also nobody posts to tell people they have had no problems, who wants to hear about a perfectly working trans? So people get the negative conatation that they are all bad. Mine is a manual with 252K, serviced at 115K and recently at 219K with not one single problem(in the trans). I have heard the autos don't fair so well, but no auto last's forever.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts