BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, what's the trick to get this paper gasket to seal properly? I have done it twice now, the second time I used a thin layer of RTV, seated the gasket, and torqued the bolts to 7-8 NM. I still have a leak. I do not think the pan is warped, it worked fine before I changed the fluid and filter, and I was pretty careful with it. Cleaned all the surfaces before re-installling the pan. ZF transmission, 2000 323Ci vert. Any suggestions?

· *^^^^^^^^*
1,739 Posts
Tighten in a cross cross pattern and forget about that torque value, this small torque values are misleading and then re-tighten all bolts 2 or 3 times to make sure it's even

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
Got it. Do you have any idea what the final torque values were, or was i just a "feel" thing?
I always go by feel. If you have a leak, just snug it down some more. Should be fine, obviously, use your brain and common sense.

· *^^^^^^^^*
1,739 Posts
Got it. Do you have any idea what the final torque values were, or was i just a "feel" thing?
Just a feel thing, I was once attempting to torque the valve cover gasket bolts to their "correct" torque values and of course stripped a couple of them. After I had put the torque wrench aside and used some common sense all went well.

No, I'm not discouraging you to use the torque wrench, I do use it often but I also do find that for SMALLER values of torque it's better to go by feel and just make it "tight enough but not too tight"

· Registered
5,537 Posts
I hardly ever use a torque wrench but remember some people are stronger than others or just have a different idea of which tight enough really is. For those people using the torque wrench is a must.

I learned this that hard way when I noticed my F250 was shaking a bit driving down the road. I pulled over and had 2 lug bolts left out of 8. My son it turns out cant tighten stuff up without either snapping bolts off or in this case not tightening enough. That little mess up of his cost me a fair amount ordering lug bolts, studs (snapped them off in place of just falling off from being loose) and being without my truck till the stuff came in.

So for some its a verrrrry good idea to use one. So when someone ask the specs I just tell them the specs and let it go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.