Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my 99 528i has 104k miles on it, and Im not sure if its ever had either the diff or trans fluids done... I want to get this out of the way and then on to the cooling system... but alas, first things first....

My tranny has the larger pan and a small pan.
Real OEM shows this part number A4S270/310R
Also, pictured are the tag on the pan and what I think is the part number.
I know its a GM obviously..So can I assume Dexron what is it now 6??? is what I can use?
And how do I fill the small pan?
I couldnt find an exact procedure for this whole operation... any links?

And for the differential, am I good with Mobil 1 75/90? I have a full quart of Royal Purple 75/90 left over from a few years back on a different project... So Id only need to buy 1....
Suggestions...

Thanks Guys!

Attachments

·
TA
1,207 Posts
Any Dex VI will work for the transmission. I use Redline D4 ATF, Either the Mobil 1 or the Royal Purple will be fine in the Diff. I am not sure what Small Pan you are referring to. There is only one pan and it has a drain plug on the bottom.

·
Registered
549 Posts
For that small pan, you just carefully lower it once all the bolts are off. You will probably spill a bit. Then fill it back up as much as you safely can so you can hold it back up there without making a mess. It definitely helps if you have access to a lift. Then after you finish the big pan, you just follow the procedure of making sure it has the right amount of fluid in the system.

You dont necessarily have to do the small pan, but it just means you will be swapping out less dirty fluid and will have to drain and refill more.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks, I have a Kwik Lift, so that will make it easier... I need to get a manual, dont have one yet... going to search for a you tube vid on the procedure.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I wouldnt use Dex VI on any trans older than 06. Dex VI is too "slippery" for older trans. My 05 330i has the GM trans and I use Maxlife. I was going to use Mobil 1 ATF but I had a lot of leftover Maxlife from my 530i(ZF trans)

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 192 K miles
1,584 Posts
Use "Pentosin ATF-1 Synthetic" for both the tranny and power steering.

·
4th BMW
474 Posts
Trans refill

You can check my posts for some tips, etc. with doing this maintainace. However, I have a ZF autobox and have uses Wolfs Head Universal Synth fluid for last about 100 k. mi with several complete dumps and filter changes. We have different transmissions. *I was glad I bought pan bolts with different heads as the first time they came off, a few stripped and had to have surgery to remove*

·
aioros
889 Posts
Valvoline Max Life.... everyone on board with that before I buy it?
Yes, Valvoline Max Life covers dex III and pretty much all the trans fluids bmw used on their e39 and e46. I used it on my '14 Infiniti Q50 as well.

I had a '99 528i with the same tranny. I used Val Max Life a few times with no issues, tranny has 305,000 miles. My daughter has that car now
Some trans fliter kit come with the small pan gasket and bolts.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, Valvoline Max Life covers dex III and pretty much all the trans fluids bmw used on their e39 and e46. I used it on my '14 Infiniti Q50 as well.

I had a '99 528i with the same tranny. I used Val Max Life a few times with no issues, tranny has 305,000 miles. My daughter has that car now
Some trans fliter kit come with the small pan gasket and bolts.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Yes the one I got from Autohaus AZ has the bolts and both pan gaskets...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts