BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mr. 745 aka Quater-To-8
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PLEASE HELP! The trans fail safe light came on long time ago. I went to have it checked out at a spot I 'used' to trust in Atlanta.... they told me it was my ABS system (huh?). I've driven the car around now for weeks and the light comes and goes on. What I've noticed is that when on other things are occurring with the electronics mainly the speedometer not working or the door locks not automatically locking (but when they do the speedometer works again). All of this has lead me to know that the problem is NOT my trans or ABS system at all but something electrical that the service guys wanted to simply fix and while sticking me for $1500 to "install a new ABS system".

Please give me some suggestions as what to look into as I'm wanting to put the car on the road for the holiday but would like to know how fast I'm going while traveling on the highway for long distances.

This is for my 2000 740iL that's blurred out in my signature picture, not the 745 pictured.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I vote you get your battery & alternator checked out - either by an indy or your local AutoZone (or someplace similar).

Most Trans Fail Safe messages/codes are due to a low battery, which could also cause those flaky electronic issues you've been experiencing.

·
Mr. 745 aka Quater-To-8
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response! I did do that already and everything checked out to be okay which didn't surprise me as I just added new alternator and battery one year ago.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts