BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have the question, i just bought my BMW 528 1997 year model and have one problem. When i drive 70MPH the "TRANS.FAILSAFE PROG" appears in
the Check Control. I have to pull over, switch the engine off, wait 10 sec and everything is ok untill I reach the 70MPH. The car has 122k miles and I don't know wheather The oil was changed or not in the transmission. Do anyone have idea what I have to do? or what I can do? Thank's for replaes

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
This sounds a bit unusual. Normally, when you see that error message, your tranny will go into default mode (3d gear only). This allows you to limp to a dealer for repair. Did you notice a significant jump in rpms when the error code comes up? Have you read you codes yet? This should be your first step.

The error message does not necessarily mean there is a problem. I have gotten it and the dealer said I needed a new tranny (@ only 50K). I had them reset the computer and have not had a recurrence in 18 months. Others have had unusual (& lower cost repair) causes for this error message. Do a search.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.