BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I was wondering what fluid you guys have been able to use for the transfer case in a BMW F30 (2013 328i X). The transfer case is the ATC 35L.

Was thinking of just going with BMW OEM DTF1 fluid.

Any other fluids/options that I should be aware of?

I've heard some theories of using a heavier weight oil, such as 90, instead of BMW's 75. The idea is to protect the transfer case with the heavier oil. But I'm kind of hesitant to go anything other than OEM at this point on the Transfer Case fluid.

For example. some people have used Redline MT-90 for the TCase.

The transfer case seems to be a delicate part, based on what I have read and heard, so I'm not sure if I'd want to deviate from the OEM fluid.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Only OE, at least for now.
Redline didn’t offer TC fluid for xDrive until couple years ago. Reason are very delicate additives. Weight is just part of an equation. Just bcs. fluid is heavier, doesn’t mean better protection.
Redline usually offers instantly fluids for BMW, but in the case of TC fluid, they waited for a long time. That means that they couldn’t offer product that is on par OE or better. I would wait few more years and see how Redline(and Motul) performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.

I agree with how OEM fluid makes the only sense on a part like the Transfer Case,at least now.

Just bought my 1 litre DTF1 from the Dealership.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts