BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Oswaldo alvarado i am new on this forum, i need a help with the following question.

I have a bmw x5 xdrive 35d e70 2013 six speed automatic diesel, and i wanna change the transmision fluid, but i need to know about the multi vehicle atf full synthetic valvoline, this oil is compatibility with my gearbox?

According to volvoline's official website this oil is compatible with zf lifeguard 6, I await your comments, thank you very much.

Font Parallel Rectangle Number Pattern

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yep if you have a 6speed stick LG6 fluid..

There is a huge shortage of LG8 Fluid everywhere for the 8speed...and I went with Liquid Moly 1800 ATF this time, I'm about 10k in and have had no issues ..

Might I also recommend adding a single tube of Shudder Fixx as preventative. Stuff made a world of difference in mine. And for $12 bux you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2015 BMW 535i
260 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I just recently noticed that (@ LG8 Backordered)

Anyone out there have an opinion of LifeGuard9? Mixing with LG8?
It says for use in ZF 8 Speed Transmissions.

(Don't mean to hijack this thread - I've just never seen LG9 Before)
LG9 is for the new tranny...

Go with Liquid Moly 1800 ATF.

Me and @evilchargerfan have both used it in our X5, and I think he has in his x3 with great results... And FCP sells it so it'll be free next time too.

·
Registered
2013 X5 E70 N55 2018 X5 F15 N55
892 Posts
LifeGuard9?
It says for use in ZF 8 Speed Transmissions.
Good Catch!

"ZF LifeguardFluid 9 was specially developed for use in ZF 8HP and 9HP automatic transmissions."

ZF has an obvious concern about needing to mix it, though...

"Automatic Transmission Fluid for ZF Automatic Passenger Car Transmissions (8HP and 9HP)
When changing the fluid, only the approved transmission fluid may be used for the fluid change, and it is also necessary to ensure that the transmission fluid change is carried out according to the relevant ZF provisions.

Small container (up to 20 l) must be shaken vigorously for at least 15 s before removing the oil."

Pretty expensive @ $30/L.

·
Registered
2015 BMW 535i
260 Posts
Looks like LG9 has a lower viscosity @ 40 deg. C. and a lower Flash point.
On a "fun" note, you'd end up with the color Cyan by mixing the two.

Interested to hear someone's opinion on this with more technical knowledge than me as the ZF recommended service procedure only exchanges ~2/3 of the old oil.

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Number

·
Registered
2015 BMW 535i
260 Posts
I have a bmw x5 xdrive 35d e70 2013 six speed automatic diesel, and i wanna change the transmision fluid, but i need to know about the multi vehicle atf full synthetic valvoline, this oil is compatibility with my gearbox?

According to volvoline's official website this oil is compatible with zf lifeguard 6, I await your comments, thank you very much.
Here's the PDF of the List of lubricants (TE-ML 11) approved by ZF for service fills.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Ford (and Jaguar - previously owned by Ford) used the same transmission and specified their own branded product, Mercon SP. While Ford and ZF won't state it, it's widely believed the Mercon SP is LG6. Mercon SP is usually available at a lower cost and is what I'm running in my transmission. A Google search will reveal a lot of discussion on this.

Interestingly, Ford tried to supersede SP with their more universal Mercon LV. Apparently, they began having failures in the ZF transmissions and were forced to bring back SP and reverse their recommendation of superseding with LV. That made me a little leery of trying a universal fluid like MaxLife, Liquimoly, etc.

AM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts