Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

i was speaking with ZF today for another reason and i was told that negative adaptations are possibly due to glycol(antifreeze) contamination.

i have been told that negative adaptation means that the clutch disc are swollen.

did any of you checked their adaptation recently and what were the values

mine are all within parameter, A,B,C and E are a negative number:

clutch A -70
clutch B-103
Clutch C-203
ClutchD+70
Clutch E -93

clutch quick fill are all at 0 ( A,B,C,D and E)

just reset the adaptation when i have done the service less than a month ago and less than 200 miles done.

my car is 126000 and x5 3.0 SD 2008

can you let me know your adaptation as i want to see if this is normal or not.

thank you

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi, mine are:
Filling pressures mbar:
A: -198
B: -98
C: 488
D:-43
E:-132
Filling time ms:
A:22
B:28
C:11
D:-18
E:7

not sure how its possible to have a negative time??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, mine are:
Filling pressures mbar:
A: -198
B: -98
C: 488
D:-43
E:-132
Filling time ms:
A:22
B:28
C:11
E:7

not sure how its possible to have a negative time??
Hi jason0 thank you related to a negative you can, as tit means that it fill speed was to high and it slows it down.

can i ask you is you box been serviced and how many miles you have on the car?

do you receive any errors?

asking about that as your C clutch is above what i was told by ZF to be an acceptable adaptation

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Dunno my numbers, but my local ZF outpost had a sheet with tolerance range per clutch, and negative values were allowed on the sheet. So just being negative should not be an issue according to that sheet.

I was failed to take a picture of the sheet...

·
Registered
237 Posts
The numbers I posted, I think were before I changed fluid/filter. I didn't really take notes, just looking at my old photos. So I am guessing after I replaced filter/fluid and reset adaptations, these are the new numbers:
pressure:
A:-186
B:-76
C:250
D:-22
E:-143
Time:
A:24
B:21
C:24
E:2

It would be nice if you could share what ZF told you about these numbers.

I don't have any particular problems with my transmission execpt an occasional 1-2 hard shift.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The numbers I posted, I think were before I changed fluid/filter. I didn't really take notes, just looking at my old photos. So I am guessing after I replaced filter/fluid and reset adaptations, these are the new numbers:
pressure:
A:-186
B:-76
C:250
D:-22
E:-143
Time:
A:24
B:21
C:24
E:2

It would be nice if you could share what ZF told you about these numbers.

I don't have any particular problems with my transmission execpt an occasional 1-2 hard shift.
the exact email i received from ZF was the following

" Did you have a glycol test done? You have a lot of negative adaption pressures, this can mean the clutch disks are swollen. Usually glycol from a leaking cooler can be the issue.

I would get a glycol test done as a start point, in order to see if the box is contaminated. The negative adaptions mean the TCU is backing of clutch pressure as the plates maybe swollen , hence no clearance

Regards

Wayne"

i hope it helps

David

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,792 Posts
This could be an interesting thread...lets hope it gets chased down to some solid conclusions/resolutions.....

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sunny_j, what program is that?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Attached are the pressures from my 06 325i which has a ZF6HP19. And below is what ZF thought about them. I was getting a 2-1 bump when coming to a stop. I would reply to ZF and ask for clarification on the negative values as you can see one of mine is pretty high.

The pressures look good. The only one that is close to being out of spec is C. Brake C is actually gets pressured 1-2 and then releases 2-1. The best suggestion might be to replace the C pressure regulator. The correct fluid and level along with pressure regulator replacement might do the trick. If it doesn't resolve the issue then you might have a bushing that is worn but the pressures don't suggest that..

hh

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
Interesting data... Negative values aren't meaning negative actual but the offset from the expected norm.

Smassey, my friend's 06 530 has a bump from 2-1 also. It's getting better with time after fluid change. Bmw and their stupid lifetime fluid lies....

·
bmw addiction
7,147 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Fill
A 134
B 97
C -158
D 54
E 455

Rapid
A 20
B 8
C -8
D 0
E 40

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Interesting data... Negative values aren't meaning negative actual but the offset from the expected norm.

Smassey, my friend's 06 530 has a bump from 2-1 also. It's getting better with time after fluid change. Bmw and their stupid lifetime fluid lies....
My 2-1 bump was only noticeable on hot days after driving for 20+ minutes. It was not an issue on cooler days. Also, fluid change and adaption reset made it go away for a few weeks but it always came back once the adaptions adjusted. I replaced the solenoids 2 years ago and it has been good as new since.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Turns out my values were bad because when I first filled the trans, I had underfilled it. I fixed the level and it ran well, but I didn't think to reset the numbers. So I reset my numbers last week, drove a pretty good amount and the readings are much better! It's also way smoother at low throttle 3->4 shift which sometimes felt more pronounced than 2-3 4 5 etc.

So, if you had an issue like low fluid and that fixes the problem, resetting adaptations and driving gentle will fix the numbers. Don't bother with the official driving test cycle, it's quite impossible unless you had your own test track or abandoned road!

A 80
B 127
C 0
D 0
E 270

Rapid
A 5
B 0
C 0
D 0
E 2

Fill