BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I've been thinking of doing a transmission fluid change and both front and rear TC fluid change. I currently have 57000miles and drive about 100 each day in heavy traffic and no traffic. I know BMW says don't change the trans fluid, but ZF recommends every 60k. What do you guys recommend? The shop is quiting 900$ for transmission oil drain n fill and rear and front TC fluid and gasket replacement. Does that sound like a good deal?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Hey guys

I've been thinking of doing a transmission fluid change and both front and rear TC fluid change. I currently have 57000miles and drive about 100 each day in heavy traffic and no traffic. I know BMW says don't change the trans fluid, but ZF recommends every 60k. What do you guys recommend? The shop is quiting 900$ for transmission oil drain n fill and rear and front TC fluid and gasket replacement. Does that sound like a good deal?
Yes it's a good idea to replace all those fluids.
The pricing sounds ok.

Just a side note, the transmission holds a lot more than 7 liters of fluid but the only way to remove all you need a transmission flush. This flush however causes problems later on when performed on an older transmission so the safest thing to do is to just drain the 7 liter and refill it. After this you will have a mix of ~50% old, ~50% new oil but that's just fine. Some enthusiasts replace it twice so they get a better ratio.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just replaced transmission fluid in my 2012 with 87k miles... haven't really noticed any difference in shift quality, but in my opinion, still a good thing to do. About the transmission fluid change, the filter is integrated into the pan, that should be replaced as well. Your quote does not mention it will be replaced. Seems silly to replace the oil, but not the filter.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Yeah change it. 60-70K would be fine even if you hit 80K.
Some dimmer indy shops are doing at 100K.
Regardless, make sure you are using ZF fluid.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just replaced transmission fluid in my 2012 with 87k miles... haven't really noticed any difference in shift quality, but in my opinion, still a good thing to do. About the transmission fluid change, the filter is integrated into the pan, that should be replaced as well. Your quote does not mention it will be replaced. Seems silly to replace the oil, but not the filter.
The guy at the shop said, since it will be the first time changing the oil I dont need to change the filter,which I think it doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should I also change the differential fluid aswell? Is there any cons of doing a ECU tune after performing all these fluid changes?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Should I also change the differential fluid aswell? Is there any cons of doing a ECU tune after performing all these fluid changes?
The differential has a tiny breather hole on the housing so some dirt can get in. When I changed it on the E39 after 140k miles, it looked horrible. When I change it after 30k miles, it doesn't look bad, just a bit discolored. Optimum is somewhere in between.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will changing the pan and filter require a flush? I plan on keeping this little beast as long as possible.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Change filter too!
+1

General rule of thumb I go by, any time I change any fluids that have a filter, I also change the filter. Otherwise you'll be pumping out clean fluid through a dirty filter which would be counterproductive.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,375 Posts
Wait- they are NOT changing the transmission filter. That is a BAD price considering they are only draining and filling 6 liters.

Fluid is $20 a liter, or 120
They are charging 7 at $34.80 for 244.

They are pricing that as separate processes- each ala carte. They will pt it up, drain all, tighten, fill. Total time 1 hr.

IMO this place is a full retail rip off, same as a BMW dealer- maybe even more expensive. And neither a loaner nor a reach around.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had all my fluids done on my 2012 x5 with 70k on it. Well worth the investment !!!
Bmw moved to one trans fluid now that also covers hybrid power trains. This fluid is almost 90 bucks a liter. Go and order zf lifeguard 8 fluid and filter from here and just pay for labor. I thing all fluids should be changed around 60-80k miles.

http://www.thectsc.com

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had all my fluids done on my 2012 x5 with 70k on it. Well worth the investment !!!
Bmw moved to one trans fluid now that also covers hybrid power trains. This fluid is almost 90 bucks a liter. Go and order zf lifeguard 8 fluid and filter from here and just pay for labor. I thing all fluids should be changed around 60-80k miles.

http://www.thectsc.com
I was looking at that website and bavarianauto. Im pretty DYI but,with Japanese cars I've never worked on a German car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wait- they are NOT changing the transmission filter. That is a BAD price considering they are only draining and filling 6 liters.

Fluid is $20 a liter, or 120
They are charging 7 at $34.80 for 244.

They are pricing that as separate processes- each ala carte. They will pt it up, drain all, tighten, fill. Total time 1 hr.

IMO this place is a full retail rip off, same as a BMW dealer- maybe even more expensive. And neither a loaner nor a reach around.....
Yea I called around got a few quotes. I did find a place that included the pan/filter for the same price.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,375 Posts
It is messy, but not physically or technically difficult. I used thectsc as well. did a 2x drain and fill to get more fluid changed.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I forgot to mention it's a 6sp (ZF 6HP26)
Why did they quote you 7 liter then? Manual transmission needs a liter only. I usually use 2 liters bc of some losses and flushing.

The transmission is a totally closed unit. No dirt gets in. Again when I drained the same E39 at 140k it still looked nice. However I follow the conservative recommendation of 30k interval.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Why did they quote you 7 liter then? Manual transmission needs a liter only. I usually use 2 liters bc of some losses and flushing.

The transmission is a totally closed unit. No dirt gets in. Again when I drained the same E39 at 140k it still looked nice. However I follow the conservative recommendation of 30k interval.
6speed automatic...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts