BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 528i with 44k on it. Car is in amazing (visible) condition. Had a reliable indie shop do a pre-inspection before purchase, found nothing wrong with the car.

One week later, when I fire it up I notice an audible 'clunk' coming from the transmission. Another (different) indie shop claimed it was the startup checkup and updated the programming. This did not solve the problem.

They are now recommending I ignore it, as 'this is common in these BMWs'. Otherwise the only solution is to replace the transmission valve body, aka the mechatronic. I do not get the surging effect listed in other threads.

Is this noise a symptom of something big to come, or is this actually a common problem in these cars?

· Registered
3 Posts
This is a software issue and you need to get the transmission control unit reflashed. I also have a 2008 528i and had the same issue remedied by the dealer last week. Mine would sometimes clunk into drive after lifting foot off of the brake when at a stop also. The dealer informed me that there is a technical service bulletin on this issue.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish that resolved it. My indie shop reflashed the unit per the BMW bulletin, but it did not solve the clunk. The mechanics spoke with a BMW engineer (as I was told) that informed them it was a mechanical issue.

· Registered
3 Posts
The reflash done by the dealer was described to me as taking a few hours and involving all of the control units, per TSB. So far so good and the problem has not recurred. You might consider a third opinion from BMW dealer and see if BMW will foot the bill for reflash. Mine is a CPO car so I did not pay for the repair.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a quick followup: Had the indie flash (90 bucks) and did not work. Went to a dealer and also had them repeat the software flash (340 bucks) and the problem went away for a few days, but is back as bad as ever.

· Running Amuck
95 Posts
First off get your damn money back . I am sick of hearing these stealerships misdiagnosing they need to start having some accountability . You have to be held accountable to pay them every time they play guessing games on their knockdown list . Just sayin

· Its a "Dry" Heat
154 Posts
Having same issue with my 2008 528i, just a tad over 54K miles now. Intermittent, but being a mechanic, it just doesnt sound good.

Anyone have the SIB number relating to this, so when I go into the dealer to have flash programmed, its not a 3-hour ordeal?

· Its a "Dry" Heat
154 Posts
Thanks to: http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/69165-joltclunk-from-auto-box-just-after-start/ post #15:

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:29 AM:

It's a software fault with the transmission self-check test on start:

"You have a transmission control chip called EGS much like your DME that manages the engine. In fact they communicate with each other and often times the software update may be to both units. Software fixes to either or both would control shift points (up or down) at certain RPM, certain lateral accelerations (ABS sensor), braking force, hill holding, etc.

BMW issued as SIB (Service Information Bulletin) in December 2008, as follows:

SI B 24 08 08
Automatic Transmission December 2008
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B24 08 08 dated October 2008.

SUBJECT
E62, E70 with 6HP19TU - Transmission Clunks after Engine Start

MODEL
E60, E61 with N52K or N54 and 6HP19TU produced from 03/07 up to 09/08

E70 (X5 3.0) with N52K and 6HP19TU produced from 12/06 up to 10/08

SITUATION
The customer may complain about a clunking noise heard from the transmission, sometimes accompanied by a "bang", felt in the rear of the vehicle after engine start-up. This complaint can be intermittently reproduced when the transmission is in the P position (the noise and/or jolt does not occur when the selector gear is placed in N).

CAUSE
EGS software calibration in regards to the transmission self-check test on the engine start

SOLUTION
On a customer complaint basis only, check the vehicle's integration level.

If the integration level is:

On E60, E61 vehicles - E060-08-03-550 or lower

On E70 vehicles ***65533; E070-08-05-525 or lower

Reprogram and recode the complete vehicle with a current Progman version (V31.1 or higher). The target integration levels are E060-08-09-520 or E070-08-09-520, respectively, for E60, E61 and E70 vehicles.

StevieD553. Your dealership probably filed this away back in 2008 and forgot it was there. All dealerships should have a method of recalling these bulletins when problems occur.

· Registered
929 Posts
Thanks to: http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/69165-joltclunk-from-auto-box-just-after-start/ post #15:

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:29 AM:

It's a software fault with the transmission self-check test on start:

"You have a transmission control chip called EGS much like your DME that manages the engine. In fact they communicate with each other and often times the software update may be to both units. Software fixes to either or both would control shift points (up or down) at certain RPM, certain lateral accelerations (ABS sensor), braking force, hill holding, etc.

BMW issued as SIB (Service Information Bulletin) in December 2008, as follows:

SI B 24 08 08
Automatic Transmission December 2008
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B24 08 08 dated October 2008.

SUBJECT
E62, E70 with 6HP19TU - Transmission Clunks after Engine Start

MODEL
E60, E61 with N52K or N54 and 6HP19TU produced from 03/07 up to 09/08

E70 (X5 3.0) with N52K and 6HP19TU produced from 12/06 up to 10/08

SITUATION
The customer may complain about a clunking noise heard from the transmission, sometimes accompanied by a "bang", felt in the rear of the vehicle after engine start-up. This complaint can be intermittently reproduced when the transmission is in the P position (the noise and/or jolt does not occur when the selector gear is placed in N).

CAUSE
EGS software calibration in regards to the transmission self-check test on the engine start

SOLUTION
On a customer complaint basis only, check the vehicle's integration level.

If the integration level is:

On E60, E61 vehicles - E060-08-03-550 or lower

On E70 vehicles ***65533; E070-08-05-525 or lower

Reprogram and recode the complete vehicle with a current Progman version (V31.1 or higher). The target integration levels are E060-08-09-520 or E070-08-09-520, respectively, for E60, E61 and E70 vehicles.

StevieD553. Your dealership probably filed this away back in 2008 and forgot it was there. All dealerships should have a method of recalling these bulletins when problems occur.
My E60 was produced in 2009 mid year and also makes the clunk sometimes. :)

· Its a "Dry" Heat
154 Posts
The SIB was written in mid 2008, and was only updated in December 2008, not since as best I can tell...which will explain why they dont list it for cars produced after 2008 (thats just silly on BMW's part - CMon guys)

Anyway - its attached for EVERYONE to use. My car was produced in that range, so BMW wont have any excuses to pull when I do decide to waste my time and take her in...(that might be a while btw....I get really bad anxiety even thinking about going to dealers due to so many past negative experiences causing me to become, shall we say, publicly angry LOL!!)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.