Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel kind of dumb asking this, but I don't want to put tranny fluid in the crankcase. I think I have a small transmission oil leak and am to the point where the transmission is shifting "weird" and acting like it is low on fluid. Been searching all over for confirmation, but everything I read states that my 2005 645CI does NOT have a transmission or engine oil dipstick. However, it appears that I DO have one (or the other). The location screams transmission (and that is what I believe it is). Does anyone else have a dipstick on their transmission??

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is the engine oil dip stick. The early models have that. Transmission oil level is on the filler plug at the rear left side of the transmission. Make sure you have the right temperature in the transmission when you check it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts
I feel kind of dumb asking this, but I don't want to put tranny fluid in the crankcase. I think I have a small transmission oil leak and am to the point where the transmission is shifting "weird" and acting like it is low on fluid. Been searching all over for confirmation, but everything I read states that my 2005 645CI does NOT have a transmission or engine oil dipstick. However, it appears that I DO have one (or the other). The location screams transmission (and that is what I believe it is). Does anyone else have a dipstick on their transmission??
Look at the Sticky links above to the DIY section, & there is all you need to do about adding fluid to the tranny. You must follow the directions, if not you will make a huge mess with the fluid.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks folks!! Good thing I asked!

HerbP, Yes, I've read through the DIY's. They have come in handy many, many times!! I just couldn't find anything showing a dipstick for this car and it's placement had me wondering about what it was for. Upon closer inspection, it appears to be engine oil, but the location screamed transmission. Thanks again!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts