BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Transmission fail on the 540ia stuck in 3rd?

719 Views 4 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  ill540i
I have 98 540ia and today i was driving and i pull out and out of nowhere my transmission acts up and stays in 3rd gear every time i start it at first it moves really heavy and just skips.
It drives fine once it gets up to speed,but wastes a lot more gas,i had it scaned and it shows that the oil in the trannys dirty or the sensor might be going bad,what should i do,get a transmission flush and go frrom there?

Sent from my MB502 using Bimmer App
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
What scan tool do you have? I don't know of any scan tool that read oil dirtiness.

A drain and proper fill may help but don't expect it to help if the issue is mechanical in nature. Most common failure is the "A" drum in the 5Hp24 tranny.

Unfortunately, when the tranny is acting up and some people change the fluid, then it fails, they wrongly accuse the failure on the fluid change.
i had it scaned and it shows that the oil in the trannys dirty or the sensor might be going bad,what should i do,get a transmission flush and go frrom there?

What about the sensor?

Here's the codes i got at the mercedes shop this morning:
Code001:
149 CAN wheel speeds
Code002:
049 symptom,gear monitoring
Code003:
053 gearmonitoring 3
Code004:
059 stall speed

Any ideas? ? :(
Come on guys anything??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.