BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi friends.
I bought the car (E60 520i, 2004) at its 190.000km in 2014. After a few days i saw Transmission Fault error. And Transmission failsafe was activated. So the car was only going in 3th gear. The error code was 4F8F(EGS: Ratio monitoring, gearshift 3-2). Deleting the error code solved problem.

After that time, i was receiving the error message once in 2 or 3 months and only restarting the car was solving the problem.

I have replaced the fluid. (Right fluid, right fluid level) This did not make the message appear less frequently.
I have droven the car 35.000km since then. Still there was no increase in the frequency of the Transmission Fault.

One interesting point is that, i am able to replicate the error. When i am going to downhill, i shift to Manual gear. in the 2nd Gear, i release the brake pedal. So instead of engine braking, car transmission shakes and Transmission Fault message appears. However when i test this with 1st, 3th, 4th, 5th, 6th gears, everything is fine.

Unfortunately this week i tried to drive car more agressivly than before. Not sure if it is due to that, but i received Transmission fault twise in a week.
This time Error code was same but 1 more code available.
1. 4F8F(EGS: Ratio monitoring, gearshift 3-2)
2. 4F92 EGS: Ratio Monitoring clutc A-C (This code appeared for the first time)

Now my question is,

May this have easy fix ?

And would you recommend fix or transmission replace ?
i have no idea about price of the fixing.
However Transmission replace costs about 1000$ transmission (Used Japan bmw's transmissions which have low mileage) + 100$ mechanic job.
Car is in its 225.000km

PS: Currently transmission is shifting very smoothly

Highest Regards.

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,962 Posts
If you can get a transmission that cheap it might be worth it to swap it out.

Ratio monitoring indicates a discrepancy between the expected output speed and measured speed. You can diy this. There's a diy mechatronics pdf floating around somewhere. Clean the mechatronics sensors, replace the solenoids, and maybe a zip kit, separator plate, bridge seal, and sealing sleeves while you're in there. Guaranteed that will fix your problem.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can get a transmission that cheap it might be worth it to swap it out.

Ratio monitoring indicates a discrepancy between the expected output speed and measured speed. You can diy this. There's a diy mechatronics pdf floating around somewhere. Clean the mechatronics sensors, replace the solenoids, and maybe a zip kit, separator plate, bridge seal, and sealing sleeves while you're in there. Guaranteed that will fix your problem.
Hi. Thanks for good news :)

So you are referring to both of the messages ? Mean, that will fix both errors ?

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,962 Posts
If your clutch pack is slipping, maybe not, but if the solenoids aren't regulating pressure like they should it could be the cause. Honestly if you can get the transmission swapped out for a remanufactured unit for $700 that's worth the trouble in my eyes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If your clutch pack is slipping, maybe not, but if the solenoids aren't regulating pressure like they should it could be the cause. Honestly if you can get the transmission swapped out for a remanufactured unit for $700 that's worth the trouble in my eyes.
Yep. 700$ is normal price for that. But i need some time and chance to find a transmission with low milage. i do not want to get worn transmission. :)
And can you, please tell me how to fix if clutch pack slipping ?
i mentioned that i can easily replicate the issue and get the error First error code while releasing brake in downhill driving in 2nd gear. is it something related to clutch slipping ?
Regards.

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,962 Posts
Just replace the transmission. If you've drove it with bad mechatronics for a while it could damage your clutch pack a little more every time it fails to engage properly. Replacing clutch requires removing the transmission anyway. Might as well replace it at that point. You can try replacing just the mechatronics and seals first, but it takes a long time rolling around in transmission oil for a possible fix. I opted to repair mine (no clutch issues). It works now but I spent much more time than I would have and just as much money compared to replacing the whole thing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Sir.
You have saved me from spending tons of money now. :)

Just one more question.
Are all 6HP19 transmissions same ? (i belive All M54 Engines are connected to 6hp19 tranny) Do they differ depending on the engine of the E60s ?
PS: What is the life expectancy of the transmission ? It of course changes depending on the driving hapit, maintenance. But i think overage is 300k Km, is it right ?
Regards

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,962 Posts
Beats me, I've never needed to replace one ;)

I would think yes, worst case you can use your old housing. I know awd/rwd have different mounts (TC) and N52/N54,N62 have different sizes of transmission that are not direct replacements. Not sure about the M54 but I think a newer N52 should fit. Someone else or realoem or google should be able to help you in that regard.

I know pre lci/lci there was a generation change, and you'll likely want to move your tcu over so it would be easiest to get a 2007 or less 6hp19. Best option is a remanufactured unit, as opposed to used.

·
Registered
716 Posts
if you have time and another car, i'd start with what others said by doing valve body overhaul first.

if that don't fix your problem, you think swap or rebuild.

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,962 Posts
The thing is, second gear is used every time you drive. It's been driven for a year like that. The error only happens when it completely fails to shift. I know when I has my 4-5 upshift under load problem, I could feel it shifting poorly despite no error codes. Still cringe worthy though, as I know grinding isn't good.

If something's vibrating, the damage might have progressed.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes i have another car.

Mr. Kurt, sorry for taking your time but i again have some questions.

1. When i searching for sealing sleeve i find 2 different products. Sealing sleeve and Sealing sleve kit ( http://www.thectsc.com/products/sealing-sleeve-3-10.html and http://www.thectsc.com/products/sealing-sleeve-kit-6hp19/21-218-43.html ) Replace one or both ?

2. Do i need to replace all solenoids or is thera a way to know which ones are failed ? (In my case 2nd and 3rd are the culprit ?)

3. What is bridge seal ? is it alternative name for Mechatronic Seal Adapter ?

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,962 Posts
You'll need both of those, and the bridge seal. Look it up on realoem.

The solenoids aren't on/off solenoids, they're pwm controlled variable solenoids. You can test them for continuity with a multimeter and clean the filters but it's sich a pain to get at them I'd change them out for new zf brand ones all in one go.

Then if that doesn't do the trick, next step is a sonnax zip kit and separator plate. If that doesn't do the trick, you might need a new clutch pack.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
One thng to keep in mind , one can test the solinoids , and they may have or show a good resistance check . But they can also fail or be faulty once under a load. .

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You'll need both of those, and the bridge seal. Look it up on realoem.

The solenoids aren't on/off solenoids, they're pwm controlled variable solenoids. You can test them for continuity with a multimeter and clean the filters but it's sich a pain to get at them I'd change them out for new zf brand ones all in one go.

Then if that doesn't do the trick, next step is a sonnax zip kit and separator plate. If that doesn't do the trick, you might need a new clutch pack.
Hi Sir.
Its me again.
This happened all the time, but i didn't pay attention to it.
Car stall/shakes when i come to a stop.
In Steptronic, while brake applied, and car not moving, if i shift to 2nd gear, car shakes a little, but when i shift back 1th gear, car shakes very hardly. May this issue be related to the problem i wrote in the first post of this thread ? Or is this something normal ?
Regards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts