BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 BMW 530i Touring V8 160'000 km's unknown maintenance history
Transmission according to Bentley manual A5S 310Z
I want to change the fluid and filter, according to Bentley I need 3 lt's of Dexron II
Bentley states to fill until it spills out while running at around 30-55C degrees.
Will 3 litres of Dexron II be enough?
These guys say they needed about 7 litres. But they also made a big mess which I hope I can avoid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wSp5mFcRjE

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since I didn't get a reply I just post what I found maybe somebody else looking for this info at well.
Dropping the pan and changing the filter and then refilling with engine off will take exactly 3 litres as stated in the book. However if you then warm up the oil and let the car idle in neutral another 1.8 litres will fit in before it starts running out of the fill hole.
Hope I did this right.
I used Lucas Semi synthetic ATF.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Dex

Since I didn't get a reply I just post what I found maybe somebody else looking for this info at well.
Dropping the pan and changing the filter and then refilling with engine off will take exactly 3 litres as stated in the book. However if you then warm up the oil and let the car idle in neutral another 1.8 litres will fit in before it starts running out of the fill hole.
Hope I did this right.
I used Lucas Semi synthetic ATF.
That sounds about right for the amount of fluid as the torque converter still will have lots of old fluid in it. That may be a life saver for yours as the old fluid will still have the required additives to make your trans function correctly.

Why did you use the Lucas instead of the required Dexron II witch I "believe" has been replaced with Dex/Merc currently. That would be correct for the GM transmission, but you say you have a A5S310Z, that trans says to "USE ONLY ESSO ATF LT 71141" ? So I am not sure what trans you have but the correct fluid is critical to its life.

I am attaching a chart that page 3 might help you, good luck with your car.

http://www.autolub.info/atf/bmw_atf.pdf

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why did you use the Lucas instead of the required Dexron II witch I "believe" has been replaced with Dex/Merc currently. That would be correct for the GM transmission, but you say you have a A5S310Z, that trans says to "USE ONLY ESSO ATF LT 71141" ? So I am not sure what trans you have but the correct fluid is critical to its life.
because if you look at the line just above the one you're quoting, the line for the 530i with this transmission it states: (Not sure why this transmission for my year would have these specs and subsequent years use only ESSO ATF. Maybe Esso made a big payment to BMW in 1996)
UNICAL DEXRON III
"MULTI-PURPOSE ATF"
CASTROL DEXRON III ***8211; MERCON
TEXACO ATF MERCON ***8211; DEXRON III
I asked for Dexron II (thats all the Bentley is listing) but was told that isn't available anymore.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ok

because if you look at the line just above the one you're quoting, the line for the 530i with this transmission it states: (Not sure why this transmission for my year would have these specs and subsequent years use only ESSO ATF. Maybe Esso made a big payment to BMW in 1996)
UNICAL DEXRON III
"MULTI-PURPOSE ATF"
CASTROL DEXRON III - MERCON
TEXACO ATF MERCON - DEXRON III
I asked for Dexron II (thats all the Bentley is listing) but was told that isn't available anymore.
Good luck with your car.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I see that the chart shows two different recommended trans fluid for the same trans. The 2nd being in a "M" model BMW. My question was why did you use a Lucas fluid that was not approved for ether trans? I will stand by the fact that any fluid that is not the exact correct fluid with all the correct additives for that trans, will cause problems in time, truly trying to help with past experience with many transmissions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm first off because the only recommendation I was able to find in the bentley as well as in the owners manual and in my German repair manual was Dexron II. Dexron II was not available. Online search on this forum showed some people using Valvoline High milage ATF and some recommendation for the Lucas ATF. Valvoline was not available Lucas was and goes under the category Multipurpose ATF.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Cool

hmm first off because the only recommendation I was able to find in the bentley as well as in the owners manual and in my German repair manual was Dexron II. Dexron II was not available. Online search on this forum showed some people using Valvoline High milage ATF and some recommendation for the Lucas ATF. Valvoline was not available Lucas was and goes under the category Multipur

·
Registered
794 Posts
Cool

That's cool, I have the same trans and have found that Castrol Transmax Dex / Merc replaced the DexII and is the correct trans fluid for these trans now. What you have learned could be helpful to others here as to a different chose for their trans, specially if it works for you long term. Good luck with your car :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i hope for the best, wish i had seen that chart you posted before i did the job and i probably would have shopped around a little more for a different ATF

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey

well i hope for the best, wish i had seen that chart you posted before i did the job and i probably would have shopped around a little more for a different ATF
Hey, I think you are OK, the torque converter still had the correct fluid in it, so I am hoping you will be fine. GB has had some great luck with Dr Tranny additive to bring everything back to OK. I am not trying to be a PIA, I don't want to see your trany fail due to fluid. I will defer to wiser trans people here, I just state what I know and have seen IMO

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I think swinada will be OK with any mainstream multipurpose Dexron III ATF. I don't have time to research this, but my guess is that BMW went to the Esso fluid because it used a torque converter with a gradual-engagement lockup clutch with later 5hp18 transmissions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts