BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the transmission pan and 5.5 quarts of fluid yesterday on my car, now with 116k miles on it. The fluid was changed at the dealer back at around 65k miles but the pan was not then. One tip I couldn't find elsewhere - the fill hole is on the passenger side, near the rear, just above a small, flat, rectangular spot sticking out on the bottom of the transmission case. It took me about 10 minutes to find that!

For those considering doing or having this done and have 100k miles on the car, do it. The transmission shifts noticeably more smoothly, and the auto park brake function finally works smoothly when pulling away from a stop - before it would jerk when pulling away. $150 or so in parts (I used the ZF fluid) and a couple hours time under the car.

·
Wardaddy in retirement
928 Posts
Well I can tell you what the fluid looked like after 30k miles: just like brand new, crystal clear, smelled exactly like the new one. (Had to top up a liter or so because of the swap procedure).

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I wonder about how well topped-up your fluids are guys. It is a requirement when changing fluid, to have a special machine/computer to monitor the trans temp, and when the temp reaches a certain point, the fluid gets added, otherwise you'll be short over a quart.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Also had the same issue with erratic shifting, etc that pigeon had. I got the fluid and filter kit from the thectsc.com and had an indy garage change the fluid---and it operated normally afterward.

The dealership looked at it before the fluid was changed and said that I needed a new $7100 transmission. The only issue was the fluid level was low and past its prime, sonething they never checked. Guess it would have been beyond their comprehension to offer a lower cost solution that worked.

·
It's the Machine in Me!
151 Posts
I had a gasket leak. So I had mine changed last Wed! $263 (Oil Pan w/Filter + Pentosin ATF - local Foreign Auto parts). I had a local Transmission shop perform the service for $80.

Seems to shift smoother! Maybe just expectations! In this particular bimmer, I would have the Transmission serviced at 100K miles.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fluid looked pretty good - not burnt or discolored. The Pentosin/ZF fluid is brown to begin with but it appeared to be in decent shape. That said, there was a thin coating of thick black sludge on the bottom of the pan.

Yes, the fluid has to go in when the transmission is 50*C, and has to be shifted through the gears several times too. The DIY covers that well. I filled the old containers with what came out so I know the level is the same as it was before.

Sorry, no pic of the fill hole. Here's the DIY I mostly followed: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502985

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Yes, the fluid has to go in when the transmission is 50*C
Exactly....AND done while the engine is running. So how does a DIY'er do that without the proper equipment? That's why I believe this is best left to a properly equipped shop.

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
You just leave the car up in the air overnight so it's dead cold, then fill till it comes out, plug the hole, start the car, remove the fill plug and pump more fluid in until it starts to come out, put fill plug back in, and hopefully you don't burn yourself on the exhaust.

As far as proper equipment goes, I just had a few ramps, jack, jack stands, and a fluid hand pump thing, nothing special. That being said though, the shifting did get significantly better when I cleared the transmission adaptations using INPA.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used two helpers - my wife to start the car and run through the gears and my son to pump the fluid in while I laid under the car and held the fill tube in. Let the trans run up to a reasonable temp and kept filling, then installed the plug once it began to run out, all while the car still running.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You just leave the car up in the air overnight so it's dead cold, then fill till it comes out, plug the hole, start the car, remove the fill plug and pump more fluid in until it starts to come out, put fill plug back in, and hopefully you don't burn yourself on the exhaust.

As far as proper equipment goes, I just had a few ramps, jack, jack stands, and a fluid hand pump thing, nothing special. That being said though, the shifting did get significantly better when I cleared the transmission adaptations using INPA.
where is that located in INPA? I'd like to do that.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I used two helpers - my wife to start the car and run through the gears and my son to pump the fluid in while I laid under the car and held the fill tube in. Let the trans run up to a reasonable temp and kept filling, then installed the plug once it began to run out, all while the car still running.
Balls of steel:thumbup: I hope you had multiple points of support to be under a running car. I did my S430 but just used the drain fill method leaving some old fluid in the torque convertor. Honda recommends a Drain/fill/drive method X4 which removes 93.75% of the old fluid using the dilutional method which I have done on the Ody and MDX. They even give torque specs for the bolts in the owner's manual while MB won't even tell you what oil weight to use, the manual says "see dealer".

Do the shops drain and fill the way you did, it does ensure that all old fluid comes out but i suspect "Corky" is too lazy to do it the right way. Honda dealers do a 1 time drain/fill and that's it despite what is recommended in the manual.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Ok guys when I come to a stop sometimes the car jerks a little into 1st gear. When I was driving today climbing a hill on the 57 my car felt like it slightly struggling so I hit the gas slightly harder and boom she took off with no problem up the hill. I haven't had any error indicating transmission failures thank GOD, but I was wonder If I should change the oil, filter and pan? Anyone know where a good shop in L.A that I can heave it done for a good price?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Pigeon

We need to hook up, I'm local in NYC, I need to also as you mentioned replace the trans fluid but dealers are out of control, a little TLC will go a long way.

My ride just recently purchased is Used e38 HR suspension, xenon light angel eye clean interior with high mileage, but with a lot of potential. As always the ultimate driving machine

Hit me up

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
What is a INPA?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.