BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Transmission fluid

2812 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  JUANEO
Whats the average cost for the transmission fluid change? automatic 95 325i

David
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Depends on what fluid you use. You'll need ~6 quarts. You'll need the two pan gaskets and a new filter, too.
And any shop is going to charge at least one hour of labor to do it, so that will add on another $100+ right there.
Average gasket kit costs about $40. Then 6 Quarts of fuid at $10-15 per litre. Around $100-125 if you do it yourself. As ZeGerman said, shop labour rate will apply. That is also if you can find a shop willing to do it. I found that not many places want to change the transmission fluid on E36's. A couple places i found that would do it, wouldnt even drop the pan. Just suck the fluid out and refill. This is why i do it myself.
Check out this chart for fluid type and amount...
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/SD92-113.pdf

I bought the Castrol Dexron III at Walmart for $4.37/liter. They also have 3 ton jack stands 2 for $27. I got a little pump to get the fluid in there $8.

I think it's pretty easy to do yourself. I'm planning to do it soon.
just did this. it was 160$ at the shop I dont go to anymore. 80$ labor 56$ for redline oil and then shopfees and tax

not bashing the shop I have a key to my buddies garage and I can use it whenever I want so I dont go to out in town anymore if I can avoid it.
Yeah, but you have a manual trans, which is way faster and easier to change the fluid on. Autos require pan removal, filter replacement, gasket replacement, etc.
ewww.
Yeah, but you have a manual trans, which is way faster and easier to change the fluid on. Autos require pan removal, filter replacement, gasket replacement, etc.
Haven't been on this forum in months, but saw this "old" post today. Just had my '96 328i's transmission fluid changed by my indie mechanic about 6 months ago. Dropped the pan, ordered the filter and gasket kit, and got tranny fluid from BMW. Charged me $300 and change for the whole thing if I recall. Said the fluid was dirty, gummy, but metal free at 130k miles. Hope this helps.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.