Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am planning second transmission oil change - I did the first one around 70k miles. Now I am on 110k miles. Some guys on North American BMW Diesel Owners FB group recommend this fluid (Andrenaline) instead of ZF http://sutphintuning.com/recommended-fluids

I tow heavy trailer and the temp when towing is ca. 199F. Some of the guys from this FB group drive their 35d hard (full deletes, etc.). They claim that this fluid keeps transmission temp lower and generally is for heavy duty use. I am concerned about mixing the fluids.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Personally I would probably stick to zf fluids as they designed the transmission and know whats good for it - perhaps a message to the manufacturer might answer your question? I only just recently found out that shell makes the zf fluid....

I’d be very interested to hear about results if you could feed back when you make the switch?

https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemedia/lol-lubricants/lol-en/lol-te-ml-11-en.pdf

2012 E70 X5 50i

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,121 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am planning second transmission oil change - I did the first one around 70k miles. Now I am on 110k miles. Some guys on North American BMW Diesel Owners FB group recommend this fluid (Andrenaline) instead of ZF http://sutphintuning.com/recommended-fluids

I tow heavy trailer and the temp when towing is ca. 199F. Some of the guys from this FB group drive their 35d hard (full deletes, etc.). They claim that this fluid keeps transmission temp lower and generally is for heavy duty use. I am concerned about mixing the fluids.

Any thoughts?
Do a 2x fill w ZF, pull a trailer over a defined course...do it 10x...cool between runs to XX F. Average the data.

Then do a 2x fill with ***8220;Adreneline***8221;...repeat the test. Report back

Comparing temps with old fluid to a new fill is silly. (Believing almost anything on Facebook is silly...)

Looks like ***8216;adreneline***8217; is made by a company called, I kid you not, ***8220;Hot Shot***8217;s Secret***8221;

IMO this is a fly by night repackager of cheap fluids, branded and targeting niches.

The Facebook posts are most likely paid/fake promotional. or people that have fallen for nonsense.

Then again, maybe 4 losers working for 20 years Selling snake oil have finally cracked the lube code and discovered the holy grail in nano particles. And again and again. Every few years a total breakthrough product.

Sure

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
I would stick to ZF, especially given how much you tow.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Guys,

Any thoughts?
Don't do it, this OIL is trash, garbage and not worth your money. Its made out of crap group "IV(4) 100% PAO FORMULAS! PAO = poly-alpha-olefin - right from there website...
ZF is way better quality, i read some were that its group V (5) oil ether based.

I personally used Redline D6 ATF oil for my trans flush. i been using it in my X5 for 40K miles and its been working great. Most of Redline products are group 5 oil and prob the highest quality oil you can find. If money is no object just USE ZF oil

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Guys! All makes sense. I was surprised when I read recommendation of this oil for the first time. I've never heard about this oil, never mentioned here. I will buy ZF change oil kit and call it a day. Thanks again!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,121 Posts
Here’s the thing.... with forums and vitality, it is pretty easy to generate buzz around something like this. They don’t need to sell a ton, just moving a bit here and there, they make a living. They are buying mediocre fluids, repackaging it. Waving magic nano molecules over it....

Maybe- just maybe- they had some diesel additives that did good things for this ford PSDs... back then...and now the challenge is make a business out of that? Dunno

The info posted is totally inadequate- I read that this ‘meets or exceeds ZF6 **and** zf8 specifications’/. How is that even possible? Two different ZF fluids. And ZF doesn’t actually publish specs on the fluid! How can they exceed specs if the specs are secret?! They are just liars.

But, people want to believe ....

Not a lot of fans over on BITOG. But a few. Wonder if the few are employees...

Yeah, I’m such a cynic!

;).

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Interesting that the guys on the FB group are claiming that group 4 is great and that ZF (likely) is group 3. I am not an expert, but still I am planning to use ZF fluid.

Don't do it, this OIL is trash, garbage and not worth your money. Its made out of crap group "IV(4) 100% PAO FORMULAS! PAO = poly-alpha-olefin - right from there website...
ZF is way better quality, i read some were that its group V (5) oil ether based.

I personally used Redline D6 ATF oil for my trans flush. i been using it in my X5 for 40K miles and its been working great. Most of Redline products are group 5 oil and prob the highest quality oil you can find. If money is no object just USE ZF oil

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,121 Posts
Interesting that the guys on the FB group are claiming that group 4 is great and that ZF (likely) is group 3. I am not an expert, but still I am planning to use ZF fluid.
Whatever. Its untested and uncertified oil. Which makes it snake oil.

Same old "we are geniuses with magic oil, but small start ups and just cannot afford the testing that big oil has foisted upon us to monopolize the market"

However, having said that, any manufacturers: toss me and edy a few bucks a month and we will start singing the praises to high heaven. Im not on FB, but willing to hawk product there for the right $$. PM me.

:angel:

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,383 Posts
Only the consumer end-user has skin in the game.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts