BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me start off by saying I've done A LOT of searching and can't seem to come to any conclusion based on my specific issues as they pertain to the codes and errors I seem to be experiencing. I know this seems like a common issue and I've gone through tons of feeds on transmission issues but none seem to give me much to go off of! At this point I've pretty much just confused myself with everything that I've found and that some things contradict other things etc.

So here's a brief statement of what the immediate issue is:
Today I go to start my car and immediately there's a red gear on the dash... ****. I try to put it into gear and it's locked there. The ccid reads 307 multiple malfunctions. I disconnect the battery, register the battery, clear the fault codes, reset adaptations and nothing, still locked. Try restarting the car letting it warm up etc. Nothing. I put the car in drive manually and drive it down the street and back. It's stuck in 1st but idles fine, drives fine. I pulled some codes from the obd reader and from the inpa. And found:
p0982 apparently for shift solenoid d
p0700 pending fault for trans control system malfunction.

Here's some background and info leading up to this issue:
A few days after experiencing that issue I get the little yellow gear transmission limp mode icon on my dash but my car drives perfectly. No sign of any issue. Drive to the store go in come back out and the icon is gone. Just to be safe I try to add a little more transmission fluid as I'm thinking maybe since some leaked out before I did the job I need to put a little extra in. Added a bit maybe a quart before it started leaking out but the light is still there but only on cold starts. I see I'm throwing a ccid 248 brake signal malfunction code gears can be changed without depressing brake pedal. I do some research on this and find some things about bad batteries throwing fault codes so I check the voltage with an obd scanner (maybe I should have just used a multimeter but don't have one at the moment as I just moved). Anyway, the voltage was about 13.1v dropping to as low as 12.5v when running and quickly dropped below 11.8v after shutting off (according to the obd reader) which was weird to me because I have never had any issues starting the car besides the one mentioned above. I bought a new battery anyway, (Walmart the h8 900cc) and ordered a inpa so I could register the battery. I hooked up the battery and the code was still there. When I went to check the info to the obd it read pretty much the same as the old battery! At this point I assumed I was just getting inaccurate readings but went home anyway. Drove to work the next day no change in symptoms but didn't register the battery in case I wanted to switch back to my old battery.

Conclusion:
So my thoughts at the moment after much research and thought. Im about an hour away from the nearest euro indy shop so I really would rather solve and diagnose the issue myself if I can as towing would be costly and they may just tell me I need a new transmission, as so many others have been told, even if I don't. I've concluded it may be the alternator, or the battery though I fear those are unlikely. Could be a solenoid (or multiple) which would be a pain but fairly cheap relative to a new tranny and I could do the repair, or it could be the mechatronic unit which would be far from ideal. I prefer to not just throw money at a problem till it goes away so if anyone has any insight I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Error codes from the inpa are:
CD99 - torque requirement EGSelectronic gear control?, B5
CD9E - gearboxdate 2, 1A2
CD9D - gear data, BA
2AD0 - gear control

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idk if this is relevant but some possibly useful information:
A few weeks ago I did my vcg no problems. About a week later I did my front pads and rotors and sensor. Then just last week I replaced my transmission oil pan and valvetronic sleeve due to a leak and filled the transmission with redline d4. Transmission shifts were greatly improved and haven't noticed any leaks since then. However, a day or two after I did the transmission work I went to start the car and nothing. Just went into a/c on. Didn't think much of it took the key out put it back in and tried again. Started up no problem but the brake light stayed on yellow. I was confused as to what it could mean so I shut the car off did a little searching turned the car on and it was gone. Drove down the street shut the car off was only away from the car for maybe 5 minutes. When I came back the car wouldn't start. It was as if I wasn't pressing the brake it would just go into a/c on. Went to try to start it one more time and it started up no problem. Wtf? Next few days my car starts up immediately no problem.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Do you have a ZF Trans?

I wouldn't be using Redline D4 in there...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts