BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my trans started going out. at least i think its the trans the fluid was smoked.. looked more like used oil than trans fluid... it started by just not grabbing gears right away had to rev a lil more to get it to grab... i know i know but no choice had to get it home and im poor. eventually almost home i lost all forward capability except 1st and od ( this is a manual) and to get those to hold i had to put it in manual and do it myself.. last bit of the drive i had to drive it in reverse to get it home all fast and furious style with people behind me looking at me weird while i signaled opposite to correct for the direction i was going.
so yesterday i swapped in a trans from the yard and i either have the worst luck ever or it wasnt just the trans because i have the same exact issues to a t.. no reverse and have to really rev just to get it move a bit... so my question is could this be the rear differential i read some articles about a spider gear... is there a test i can do to tell if its the dif.. jacked up itll move the tires in forward and reverse but with weight on it nothing backwards and minimal to no movement forward... any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and i have just removed the rear diff going to the yard to try that..because i now have or will have a credit if this trans is smoked as mine was...any recomendations on upgrading my rear diff what can i swap in thats better that i can pull off another beemer from a yard? 98 328i sedan manual trans pos slush box

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
29,578 Posts
Your description makes no sense. You describe something that can only happen with an automatic, then you say it's a manual (5 speed?) but then say od (overdrive....and the manual 5 speed isn't an overdrive transmission).
One thing I can tell you: it's not the differential.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
29,578 Posts
You're wasting your time on the diff. IF you have a manual 5 speed, the clutch is fried. Probably nothing wrong with the transmission.

·
Import and Euro Fanatic
263 Posts
Sounds like he's saying auto trans in manual mode?

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,578 Posts
I dunno... :dunno: Until he replies with an answer 5 speed vs automatic, we can't give a definitive answer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry about the confusion and late response it is a automatic... 4L30e i believe... i meant i had to drive it home in manual mode only way i could get it past certain gears or to hold any it seemed... never the less i sorted it out today got another trans and put it in an. all is well and back driving fine except advance gave me the wrong replacement nuts for the exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold connection and i would of liked to replaced them as they are well worn to say the least... but seeing how easily i removed the dif and inspected it and now that itll come right back off since i just broke every thing free i would like some recommendations on a rear dif up grade

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,578 Posts
Ok, your transmission is toast. No, you can't DIY repair it. Replace it with a known good one with a warranty or do a 5 speed swap. Since you have an automatic transmission, it already has a low geared differential. Look at the tag on the rear cover. It'll have the ratio stamped on it. Other than a limited slip diff (which would be nice, but not necessary), you're already fixed up with what you need for torque off the line. Your gas mileage won't be so great, though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
:mad:second trans from the yard turned out fine the new front pump seal on the other hand did not... it just blew after 30 miles. the one advance sold me didnt have the three torx bolt holes the oem one had, but they assured me that it was the replacement... i wish id a just left the oem one in... now i have to pull it out AGAIN... advances says liftime warranty... awh gee thanks another free crap seal thatll blow again.... no thanks..... what about my time an labor... there should be a law against defrauding someone by lying and selling crap like that..pic of the oem one on the old trans... the new seal didnt have those three holes for the lil tox bolts:/

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts