BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has had a slow leak for a few months now. Did the research on this forum and it seemed like the typically 6 series cracked pan issue. Took it to a local indy shop.......sure enough, that was the case. $760 later she shifts much smoother now. I'll now monitor the "new transmission oil" effects......:eeps:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sounds like you got bent over, mine was $240 for parts, labor, and tax.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you got bent over, mine was $240 for parts, labor, and tax.

$240!!!!!!!! REALLY??? I've been hearing the average for this repair was $1000.

In my case........

Pan $273
Oil $45 x 5 1/2
Labor $200

WOW, you got a great deal.......:yikes:

·
Michael
2,354 Posts
I think it depends on whether they changed all of the oil or reused the old oil and topped up. I say this because BMW transmission oil is very expensive per litre compared to any other brand. There are approx 9 litres in the box, yes 9 !!! unless someone can advise otherwise.........

·
Registered
6 Posts
That happened to me. BMW fixed the leak and changed the oil and after that the transmission started working badly and they installed a refurbish one. Thanks God I bought an extended warranty. The total cost of this repair was $9,000.00.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Sounds like JPEG23 got a great deal on his. Definitely keep your Indy shop happy because they basically did that job for you just in material cost. But it seems they may have reused the old fluid, which is perfectly normal to do because the fluid do last along time before breakdown.

·
Registered
555 Posts
No, it was new fluid, the old fluid had too much metal in it, and it was best to swap it. It's a family owned transmission shop, that I had used to rebuild a T56 tranny in the past; so he gave me a good deal. He does nothing but transmission and differential work and been in business for 20+ years. My cost breakdown was something like:

140 oil pan
20 fluid(the fluid he recommended over all else)
65 for labor
+tax

I was a bit hesitant to use the fluid he recommended, but he's the pro, and insisted it was as good as it gets. I must say when I got it back the transmission shifted like new and still does.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it was new fluid, the old fluid had too much metal in it, and it was best to swap it. It's a family owned transmission shop, that I had used to rebuild a T56 tranny in the past; so he gave me a good deal. He does nothing but transmission and differential work and been in business for 20+ years. My cost breakdown was something like:

140 oil pan
20 fluid(the fluid he recommended over all else)
65 for labor
+tax

I was a bit hesitant to use the fluid he recommended, but he's the pro, and insisted it was as good as it gets. I must say when I got it back the transmission shifted like new and still does.

Good deal!! So I really didnt get "bent over", you just got one hell of a deal :bigpimp:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Good deal!! So I really didnt get "bent over", you just got one hell of a deal :bigpimp:
I recall seeing the typical price maxing at about $650, so it was right around par...now if you got bent over, that sounds like a whole other story:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recall seeing the typical price maxing at about $650, so it was right around par...now if you got bent over, that sounds like a whole other story:rofl::rofl::rofl:

LOL!..........oh, wait? :confused:

:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
494 Posts
i paid 900 for my with new fluid....thats the going price. could find anyone to do cheaper that specializes in bmw.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts