BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
SCCA H.A.C.K.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I noticed that the gear shirt in my M coupe no longer "rests" in the position between 3rd and 4th, but rather fully to the right, below 5th. Does anyone know what could cause this and how one would fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
See my reply about selector shaft "compression" springs on Roadfly...

It seems you've lost one, maybe broken or popped out of position?

·
SCCA H.A.C.K.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, next question...

Is the compressor spring internal to the transmission or is it part of the shifter mechanism, and should it be easily accessible with my car on a lift?

Thanks again,

Mike

·
SCCA H.A.C.K.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No high-speed testing... everything was low speed yesterday. I can tell you this: you do NOT want to spill a gallon of water in the back of a coupe. I spent at least six hours trying to dismantle and dry everything, and I haven't even reassembled yet! The real bummer: it was distilled water that I brought up for the tech session along with a special fill bottle, thinking we'd get into the "maintenance free" batteries in our cars and ensure they're properly filled. I completely forgot about it on Saturday.

The shifter was fine yesterday; gone today. I don't know when the change occurred but nothing unusual (other than the aquatics) happened while I was driving yesterday.

Mike

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Forgot the batteries? . . .

Oh well, we'll add it to the wish list for next time. See the other thread I started up for the write-up. Turned out we had a pretty full day as it was.

The 'aquatics' sounds like a real PITA. :(

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Mike S said:
This morning I noticed that the gear shirt in my M coupe no longer "rests" in the position between 3rd and 4th, but rather fully to the right, below 5th. Does anyone know what could cause this and how one would fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Sounds like your return spring which is internnal to the tranny is broken. Does coming out of 1st or 2nd end up in the 3rd/4th neutral gate?

·
SCCA H.A.C.K.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just checked the action out of 1st, 2nd and reverse. In all cases, coming out of gear returns the shift lever to the rightmost position. Since I have a shift knob that is easily removed, I also removed the shift boot and the large rubber baffle that mounts to the transmission tunnel and seals the elements (and noise) out.

I immediately noticed that when I come out of 1st or 2nd, or simply hold the gear shift over on the left and release it, I hear a clack noise that seems to come from either the area of the bushing around the shift lever ball or from the brass colored rod connected to the base of the lever. The sound is certainly not coming from an area fore or aft of the lever. A limited visual inspection doesn't reveal an obvious problem to my untrained eye.

Any other thoughts?

Mike

·
SCCA H.A.C.K.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Access port?

Ron,

Thank you for your time and guidance. Please ignore my comments about the "clack" noise. I've traced it to the metal shift knob reacting to the extra movement into the 5th gear gate. With the knob removed the action is silent (other than the normal transmission sounds).

By any chance, do your diagrams indicate an access port to replace this spring? I suspect BMW's German engineers wouldn't hide a fairly fragile spring then require full transmission removal to replace it.

Also I'd love to know the source of your diagrams. Is this a readily available manual?

Mike

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
As Ron told you, it is an internal transmission part.

Can't answer the access port question as I can't bring up the ETK right at this moment and I've never personally experienced the view from above. Some cases do have them so don't abandon hope just yet.

Plus, as I'm sure you know, you are in the best of hands with Ron. I am but a humble grasshopper, he is the Master to borrow from Kung Fu.

Good luck.

·
SCCA H.A.C.K.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And the plot thickens...

The latest development: the problem is somewhat reduced. From 1st or 2nd the shift lever now returns to the standard 3rd/4th gate position in neutral, but from 5th it only returns to that position if I give it a slight nudge. Also when I move the lever from the 5th gear gate, I hear an unusual rattle from the transmission. If I had to guess, I'd say it sounds like a spring rattling... but considering the discussion so far I may be unfairly biased in that regard.

If the spring were to break entirely, is it in a contained environment or could it possibly fall into other parts of the transmission, leading to a serious failure? If that is unlikely I'll defer this until the weekend, otherwise I'll try to get to my brother's shop and fix it on Wednesday.

Mike

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
I think StevZ3 beat us all to it, but my 2nd choice would that the dime comes with the spring in a kit and is used as a cheap ($.10) shim during the spring installation. :D

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
Yep, it's the ubiquitous 10-cent part that can ruin your whole day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.