BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 5451 E60(automatic) with 64,000 miles that has been having Transmission issues for the past few months. My first problem is as the car shifted from 1st to 2nd gear the car would "catch" and or not shift appropriately and sometimes when I accelerated I would get a transmission malfunction message on the screen. I would then pull over and restart the car and all would work again. After this I took the car to my mechanic and they changed the tranny fluid and screens. Once they did that my problem from shifting 1st to 2nd went away but the problem of the transmission malfunction message still exists when I'm driving up hills and shifting from 3rd to 4th. Other and getting some malfunction message and the car shifting weird every now and them the car run pretty good.

BMW wants to have me replace the transmission that will cost 9,000 bucks. Is there any other solution? I'm thinking about taking the car to a transmission place and possibly they can fix. It's hard to believe my transmission is bad having only 64,000miles.

Any suggestion and or past experience would be greatly appreciated.

·
DIY'er
3,437 Posts
Read the giant transmission thread at the top of the forum (find my video towards the end and start reading around there if you just want to see the solution)

Ultimately, you need to change mechatronics solenoids and it will probably fix it. BMW always says to change the transmission for just about any problem.

I had the same problem, along with a few others here. New solenoids has fixed this for everyone who I have seen try them. They are about $400 + fluid/installation. I did it in an afternoon in my driveway, so it's not too bad of an install

·
Registered
162 Posts
Read the giant transmission thread at the top of the forum (find my video towards the end and start reading around there if you just want to see the solution)

Ultimately, you need to change mechatronics solenoids and it will probably fix it. BMW always says to change the transmission for just about any problem.

I had the same problem, along with a few others here. New solenoids has fixed this for everyone who I have seen try them. They are about $400 + fluid/installation. I did it in an afternoon in my driveway, so it's not too bad of an install
Same here, solenoids will do the trick. Don't waste time taking your car to a tranny place. Find a good indy or do it yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts