BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2004 x5 4.4i with sport package. Recently I have encountered a problem with the transmission/rear end. When slowing down but not coming to a complete stop then re accelerating I am getting an occasional jerkiness tot eh car. Feels like I am being rear ended its so forceful. Bringing car in tomorrow to get checked at dealer. This jerkiness only recently started happening and was fine prior to having recall performed last month(recall was a software upgrade).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hate to go there and they tell me nothing is wrong, which is what I am expecting.

Thank you for any help you guys might be able to offer

Gregg

·
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!
279 Posts
sparky1358 said:
Hello,

I have a 2004 x5 4.4i with sport package. Recently I have encountered a problem with the transmission/rear end. When slowing down but not coming to a complete stop then re accelerating I am getting an occasional jerkiness tot eh car. Feels like I am being rear ended its so forceful. Bringing car in tomorrow to get checked at dealer. This jerkiness only recently started happening and was fine prior to having recall performed last month(recall was a software upgrade).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hate to go there and they tell me nothing is wrong, which is what I am expecting.

Thank you for any help you guys might be able to offer

Gregg
had software reprogrammed on my 2002 3.0 a few months back but the 'SLIGHT" bucking is starting to creep back once a week or so....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2004 4.4 with the same transmission problem. I've located several posts regarding this issue on a few X5 forums. It does feel like you've been rear ended when the tranny downshift abruptly and violently from 2nd to 1st gear. My problem occurs only if I don't come to a full stop at the top of a hill and force the downshift from 2nd to 1st...then "bang!!" Like a car came up from behind and slammed into me. I've taken it to the dealer and they haven't been able to recreate the problem. I'm thinking about taking it to another dealer. It's happened to so many X5 owners that there should be a bulletin on this by now.

A previous post on the problem:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81540&highlight=banging+gear

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not sure if it is related to the '05 4.4 issues

I've posted about the jerkiness of my new 4.4 and many people have the same problem. Roadfly has a post on it and it seems like software is an issue but some people had their levers in their valvetronic replaced because the levers were built to the wrong specs. I'm not sure if it is related but it is worth looking into if you have valvetronics. See the Roadfly discussion here:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e53/6206482-1.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am happy to report it was a software issue. They had to fly a laptop in from bmw to reprogram shifting of the transmission.

Smooth as silk now..............Hopefully it stays that way.

Must be a fairly new update since they had a limited time with the laptop with the software code on it before it had to be sent back out.

Hopefully it fixes problem and helps anyone else out

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
7 Posts
? Sparky1358

How long did they keep your X5 to do the programming?

Do you have any TSB reference numbers or programming job numbers that I can refer my BMW service dept. I've been having a difficult time getting my dealership to recognize the problem. Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
BMW NA Customer Relations
454 Posts
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I'm sorry your service experience was not what you expected. We are here to work with you and your BMW center. If you would like our assistance, please give us a call at (800) 831-1117 or email us at [email protected], and mention Reference # 200508100039 so that we can help you more efficiently.

·
Registered
111 Posts
More info please

sparky1358 said:
Well I am happy to report it was a software issue. They had to fly a laptop in from bmw to reprogram shifting of the transmission.

Smooth as silk now..............Hopefully it stays that way.

Must be a fairly new update since they had a limited time with the laptop with the software code on it before it had to be sent back out.

Hopefully it fixes problem and helps anyone else out

thanks for the replies
I too would like to know more about this software update. Yesterday, 03/21/05, I brought my X5 4.4i in for the a problem that I posted before about the jerkiness of the engine. I have 1880 miles and the thing just doesn't drive like a BMW. I got it back and they told me that they've searched for through the bulletins and could not find any upgrades or notices. They make it sound like this is just the way the vehicle is.

Any more info is appreciated.

·
Registered
92 Posts
2005 4.4i with 500 miles - SAME Problem!!!

I have just experienced the same problem on a two week old just built X5 4.4i. I would have thought they would have fixed this problem by now and that is why I ordered one rather than getting one off the lot. I will contact the dealer to find out what they have to say. I will let you all know as well what happens.

I just turned in a lemon 2004 545i. The battery kept dying and they couldn't figure it out. It was in the shop for 40 days so they had to take it back. I got an X5 instead and now this...

So you all are telling me there is still no official bulletin out about this?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.