BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helloo

Need some good ideas from you guys.
My BMW X5 2007 E70 is having transmission shifting problems for a while. After a 30 minute drive in the city in D (drive) mode, the transmission suddenly starts to act like sports mode. It will shift, but only after rpm 2500. There will be no notices or error messages. After that I usually continue driving, turn transmission to Manual mode, and manual shifting works perfectly. After 10 minute ride in Manual mode, I can turn transmission back to D and it works well again. This happes constantly for more than 6 months already.
I have changed the battery, updated soft for 2 times, changed transmissin oil + filters. No effect. Diagnostics show no fault codes, car should be in percet condition. Any ideas what can be the reason or how to diagnose the real problem?

All helpful information is welcome.

Hendrik

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
H Diagnostics show no fault codes, car should be in percet condition.
Not at all.

How many miles on the car? How was it driven for all those miles? How often was the ATF changed? Condition of fluid and filter at last change?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car has 115 000 miles, this is BMW X5 E70, 3.0 diesel, 6-speed automatic gearbox. I have driven with it around 5000 miles and this problems has followed me all the times. I changed the ATF and filter 2000 miles ago, don`t no what was the condition. But basically no other special behaviour. And this is only when driving in the city. I can drive on highway for 3 hours and when I arrive to city, still no problems (of course there is a chance that there still are problems, but you just dont need to change gear so often on highway). And in a city I drive really calm.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
There is a very specific list of oil that can be used in the ZF6HP and they all pretty much go back to an oil made by ZF themselves. Do you know for sure that's the oil used and not a generic ATF oil?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I`m not sure about anything anymore as it seems a mystery for me. I only know that the problem was before the oil change and after the oil change. The oil was changed by workshop who has changed oil in these kind of transmissions many many times and should know which oil to use.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I found a very similar case with a old X5. But this has different transmission and my machine should even not have transmission oil cooler for example?
The E70 X5 has an oil-to-water heat exchange. There is a thermostat on it too, but it controls the flow of coolant, not oil. With DIS you can monitor the temperature of the transmission oil, maybe that's the reason, but I would expect it would record a code of some sort.

As far as I know the earlier 6HP had 2 issues: a leak in the mechatronic sleeve and possible failure of the seal between the mechatronic and the transmission body. The first is just a leak, the second has herratic shifting and error codes.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The E70 X5 has an oil-to-water heat exchange. There is a thermostat on it too, but it controls the flow of coolant, not oil. With DIS you can monitor the temperature of the transmission oil, maybe that's the reason, but I would expect it would record a code of some sort.

As far as I know the earlier 6HP had 2 issues: a leak in the mechatronic sleeve and possible failure of the seal between the mechatronic and the transmission body. The first is just a leak, the second has herratic shifting and error codes.
If the problem should be with oil-to-water heat exchange of its thermostat, should it affect climate also? I might have noticed that sometimes the climate may not hold right temperature inside.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
I`m not sure about anything anymore as it seems a mystery for me. I only know that the problem was before the oil change and after the oil change. The oil was changed by workshop who has changed oil in these kind of transmissions many many times and should know which oil to use.
you are attempting to disagnose issues and YOU DONT KNOW WHAT KIND OF ATF WAS USED.

Just assume "they must have done it right".

You really must get solid information on your car and this situation, otherwise youll just flounder around on the web with guesswork.....

IMO

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If the problem should be with oil-to-water heat exchange of its thermostat, should it affect climate also? I might have noticed that sometimes the climate may not hold right temperature inside.
It is a very very long stretch here, but when the engine is cold the car uses a different shifting map to facilitate engine warmup. You could check the engine coolant temperature by unlocking a hidden menu (search YouTube and you'll get info on how to do it).

You car has 2 thermostat that are both known to fail and be stuck open causing the engine to run cold: one on top of the EGR cooler and one on the engine block. If your temperature fail to get and stay in the upper 80s, low 90s no matter what the thermostat are bad. If the temperature gets low enough it may happen that the car changes the shift point in an attempt to increase engine temperature. You also get a bunch of other nasty issues like clogged DPF, failing glow plugs, and so forth.

Again it is a long stretch, but one quick thing to check...

You can also check the transmission oil temperature, but that requires an advanced diagnostic software or the BMW DIS

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also have a 2007 model, mine has approx. 240k on the clock and I also seem to get this issue around town or when stuck in motorway traffic.

I actually think its linked to the fact that my car doesn't get to run through its full DPF burn off or recycle process, while in "D" and with the laptop plugged in I will get the odd message popping up for DDE about the DPF. If I take the car for a long run (1 hour +) this problem goes away for a couple of months.

My DPF is original and well past its supposed life term, I can only assume for me that its the DPF recycle not completing or running correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.