Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped my car off for an annual oil change. A day later got a call from the dealer. They found a leak in the transmission (weird because it is garage kept and floor is clean) and are trying to fix it.

Two days later SA calls again and tells me the whole tranny is getting replaced. He thinks the car will be ready middle of next week. Probably too optimistic.

It has 21k on the odometer. Not abused, never driven it on a track. I do drive somewhat aggressively, when conditions allow, which does not happen too often in NYC. This is my fourth bimmer and a first serious issue.

Anyone else had their tranny replaced? Does the car drive as well as with original?

Meanwhile I got an X3 loaner. Not much to like about it dynamically, but I am biased against SUVs in general, so just my opinion.

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
The car should drive as before. Just a FYI you'll receive a new transmission but the housing will likely be remanufactured so your work order will state remanufactured. No worries.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Banned
430 Posts
our cars have an aerodynamic dust shield belly pan thing so you would not know if your engine or transmission are leaking.

was your transmission acting funny before you brough it into the dealer?

the leaking was most likely caused from the aluminum bolts in the oil pan.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
our cars have an aerodynamic dust shield belly pan thing so you would not know if your engine or transmission are leaking.

was your transmission acting funny before you brough it into the dealer?

the leaking was most likely caused from the aluminum bolts in the oil pan.
As far as i could tell the car drove fine. I picked it up tonight, after-hours, so did not get to speak to anyone, but attached are the details of the repairs performed, if anyone is curious.
(i don't know why it says that customer stated oil/fuel leaks up on top, i did not say that, maybe that is how they need to document it)

Attachments

·
Banned
430 Posts
sounds scummy. My only guess is that they needed to get rid of a transmission or wanted yours.

is the new one operating fine? the best way to check overall durabilty levels is by flooring the gas pedal and noting how firm and quick the downshift is. same thing for upshift at redline.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds scummy. My only guess is that they needed to get rid of a transmission or wanted yours.

is the new one operating fine? the best way to check overall durabilty levels is by flooring the gas pedal and noting how firm and quick the downshift is. same thing for upshift at redline.
i doubt if they are up to something scummy. BMW would not pay for new tranny unless it was really needed. But you never know.
I flogged it a bit on the way home, seems to be shifting fine. I will be keeping an eye on it going forward obviously. About a year left on a lease, so that is a good thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts