Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beautiful 2007 335i platinum/cream hard-top convertible has finally caught a repair I’m not willing to fix (Transmission Malfunction). Both the dealer and a local mechanic made the same diagnosis indicating a transmission replacement is required (code: 4f97 EGS-Ratio Monitoring, clutch B-D).

I’m surprised this happened w/o any warning signs. Was riding perfect 1 day then the next day limp-mode with a transmission malfunction message. It resets when turned off and cooled, but once it warms up, back to limp mode. If someone wants to replace the transmission they’ll have a beautiful machine! And, if you are a road bike cyclist I have the very rare BMW integrated rear bike rack system (See rack pics in this post)

The decision not to repair it hurts my heart but it’s time for me to get out of the high-end sport/luxury status type vehicles. Since the warranty ended 3 years ago, I’ve invested a lot of out-of-pocket cash to keep the car in top shape.

The car has been well taken care of only has 106k miles on it. All recall repairs are done. Never been in an accident, no external body damage or dents still looks great, interior leather all very good.

Past 2 years major maintenance repairs (BMW dealers & Bimmer Center, Atlanta, GA.):
* Replaced exhaust vanos solenoid
* Replaced sway bar links due to torn leaking boots
* Brake Fluid Flush
* Replaced front brakes (pads and disc)
* Replaced rear brake pads
* Replaced leaking reservoir (expansion tank)
* Replaced Vent Hose (radiator), pressure test system
* Replaced battery
* Replaced rear wheel speed sensor
* Replaced DCS hydraulic/control unit
* Replaced Starter
* Repaired Valve Cover Gasket Leak
* Brand new set of tires/with road hazard warranty

Water, DTML and Coolant Pumps replaced fuel injectors and spark plugs I believe in 2016 and most likely other major maintenance already performed while under warranty so would be in the dealer records.

I AM LOOKING FOR YOUR SERIOUS OPINIONS, considering the info provided above:
* Would you just trade in on a new car purchase for basically nothing or is there a market to sell this AS-IS? Have not determined a cost yet.
* Seems to me like a great car for a mechanic.

Attachments

·
Ziggy.
424 Posts
4f97 can be as simple as a broken seal between the valve body and the transmission housing. It can be repaired without removing the transmission. BMW does not sell this part and thus their only option is to sell you a complete transmission. Find a transmission shop that can fix ZF transmissions.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=930205
usually that seals the fault when car doesnt go into first or reverse i think or mainly reverse.

but OP id at least change fluid and try to replace the square seal in between the mechatronics and the body of trans.

worst case scenereo just clear faults drive to dealer and leave it in parking lot/trade it in when they cant tell anything is wrong lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
4f97 can be as simple as a broken seal between the valve body and the transmission housing. It can be repaired without removing the transmission. BMW does not sell this part and thus their only option is to sell you a complete transmission. Find a transmission shop that can fix ZF transmissions.

Thank you for your responses Ziggy238xi and Smassey321. Yes, I've seen several possibilities of what else could be the problem and not needing to replace the transmission. That's why I'm thinking there may be a market to sell as-is instead of trading in. Do you have an opinion on that topic and possibly an idea of what it may be worth. I'm really looking to let it go at this point.

·
Registered
741 Posts

WHOA WHOA WHOA! THIS!

Do not be fooled! This is a simple and inexpensive repair. Dealers are crooks, and the other garage doesn't know what they're talking about. If you're not up for DIYing it - it's not really a novice job - then find a decent indy German garage. They'll fix you right up. A $10 seal, $150 worth of fluid, two hours labor, done. While they're in there, have them replace the external Valvetronics sleeve and the 4 tube seals. Extra $100 well spent.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WHOA WHOA WHOA! THIS!

Do not be fooled! This is a simple and inexpensive repair. Dealers are crooks, and the other garage doesn't know what they're talking about. If you're not up for DIYing it - it's not really a novice job - then find a decent indy German garage. They'll fix you right up. A $10 seal, $150 worth of fluid, two hours labor, done. While they're in there, have them replace the external Valvetronics sleeve and the 4 tube seals. Extra $100 well spent.
------

OK. I will definitely follow up on the advice around this seal. Will search for the right type of garage and see what happens. I am not a mechanic at all, so DYI is definitely out :)!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
These guys have kept me out of bankruptcy on 16 years of ownership of a 2002 330i and a couple of e90s all well over 100,000 miles.

https://munichmotorsport.com/

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I left off 1 thing so let me give you guys a little more information or a scenario on this error starting at the point of the malfunction message appearing. I don't know if this would change your opinions regarding this possibly being a seal/fluid repair vs a transmission replacement, but I think it's worth laying out. the scenario:
- Was driving car and Transmission Malfunction message showing gear icon appears
- The car goes into limp mode
- It is slow to get rolling from a stop but drives fine once going. No jerking or any other unusual movements (don't recall if its changing gears but exceeded 45 mph)
- If I stop on an incline the car rolls backward. It is difficult and slow going to get it to start rolling forward from a stop on an incline (I am not gunning the engine, giving it enough gas to get rolling)
- I can turn off the car and let it cool. At this point, it resets the message and seems to reset the problem
- The car will start with no message and initially perform like there is no problem
- Once the engine warms up the malfunction message comes back on and the car returns to limp mode

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
As a matter of policy, BMW dealers rarely if ever fix transmissions.

Under warranty repairs, they put in a re-manufactured unit from ZF, who keeps a factory in the US to do a complete rebuild. I've been in touch with ZF CS on this, and they do a complete job to return these units to like-new condition.

BUT out of warranty the dealers will usually try to sell you a new tranny for full price. No surprise there.

Comments above are true. The rubbers between the mechatronics and the turbine section fail with age and heat. This results in fluid pressure reduction and odd failures since the fluid is what manipulates the clutches/steels in the transmission core.

Relatively cheap fix that can be done in two hours. Note that there are other possibilities, but the first step is to find a good indy and get a rational price and intelligent diagnosis.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I see you had work done in Atlanta, if you live in the area there is a great shop on Atlanta Rd Smyrna. Autobahn Imports, Owners name is Raymond, They do good and reasonable work. If it can be fixed, they can do it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the shop recommendations and tips. It's taking me a minute to follow thru because I had to get myself some new transportation. Now, I have to have the car towed to a shop and pray its something as simple as a seal or sensor. In that case, I'll have it fixed and sell it; otherwise....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts