BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

In short, I've just finished installing a rebuilt head on my 525 M50 Vanos engine.
Engine started up fine and idles perfect. Two things I can't figure out though.
1) transprogram is activated and would like to know where to look. I understand it is on a different system and isn't related to the regular error codes.
Done the stomp procedure but no codes come up. CEL is working because it is on while engine runs.
Here is what I've done so far:
a) checked th ohm on the TPS-ok
b) cleaned the plug contacts on the TPS, MAF (was crusty), disconnected battery, tried pulling the trans. ecu plug out to reset but only got 3/4's of it. Didn't want to break the plastic notch on the end.
c) Checked the fusible link near the battery-clean
d) All connections below the intake manifold are tight.

2) As I said, car idles perfect, no vacuum leaks but as soon as I increase the rpm's to 1000 or above the engine (throttle) begins to surge down then back up.

When I drive it, (only around the block) once up to about 25 mph it does not surge.

any input would be highly appreciated,
Thanks, Rick

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,135 Posts
Hi there,

In short, I've just finished installing a rebuilt head on my 525 M50 Vanos engine.
Done the stomp procedure but no codes come up. CEL is working because it is on while engine runs. Thanks, Rick
If the CEL is on while the engine is running, there WILL be a code.

BTW, you're in the wrong forum. ;)

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,135 Posts
OK, well somethings wrong with the DME or your method of attempting to read the code(s), because if the CEL comes on while the engine is running, it WILL have a code stored.

Looks like you've run the gamut of the things usually suggested to fix the transprogram problems. Check the grounding strap connections from engine to chassis and trans to chassis is the only thing I can come up with. There's a huge number of them on the E36s. I would assume your 525 has a similar number. One loose one will cause all sorts of trouble.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, well somethings wrong with the DME or your method of attempting to read the code(s), because if the CEL comes on while the engine is running, it WILL have a code stored.

Looks like you've run the gamut of the things usually suggested to fix the transprogram problems. Check the grounding strap connections from engine to chassis and trans to chassis is the only thing I can come up with. There's a huge number of them on the E36s. I would assume your 525 has a similar number. One loose one will cause all sorts of trouble.
Regarding the TPS, I'm trying to see if I have a 5v current. There are 3 pins to the TPS, which one is pos and which one is grd. Book does not indicate, only to test between 1 & 3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts