BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we pulled my P Zero Neros off yesterday the right rear tire was far more worn on the inside shoulder than it should have been. The other tires wore very evenly. Tire tech mooting the new tires said it looked like inflation problems to him. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How much alignment is involved with the rear wheels? It looked like a camber thing to me.

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
Post a picture. Could be alignment, or suspension going if older X3.

Do you rotate the tires? You should be doing that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tires are gone, I was mad at myself that I did not have my camera with me. I only owned those tires for a could of thousand miles, I will watch the new Michelins closely. Do people put Bilsteins on X3s?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Rear tires are canted in a bit more... I could see the inner tread wearing more than they should there, however, it should be even.

Would it be described as cupping like how the Bridgestone Turanzas typically do on the X3's?

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
. Do people put Bilsteins on X3s?
I've heard of some people here using Bilsteins, actually I have Bilstein sport/H&R sport lowering in my 89 Cabriolet and i love it. I will go with Bilst. when the time comes to replace my stock suspension.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No cupping, the wear was very smooth just exaggerated. It really looked like an outside shoulder from a car driven very hard... and it was plugged. Do you suppose it could have been mounted wrong after a repair? I don't know if P Zero Nero sidewalls are the same inside and out, I wouldn't think so.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rear tires are canted in a bit more... I could see the inner tread wearing more than they should there, however, it should be even.

Would it be described as cupping like how the Bridgestone Turanzas typically do on the X3's?
The term is called camber. Most BMW are set up with alot of negative camber. This is done to improve handling. BMW seem to have more negative camber than any other car I have seen. Makes me wonder if they are compensating for a poorly designed chassis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camber_angle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.