BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Trouble Getting into Reverse

1298 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  EGL
Just acquired a 2008 650i vert. It was my passion, but boy, does it put a smile on hubby's face. I expect I will not have to do any arm-twisting when it's time to replace it.:)

Dealer says "Don't worry" Need to know whether you have seen this:

First thing in the morning when backing out of garage, transmission (auto) won't shift into R without FIRST putting it into D for a moment. We carefully make sure our foot is on the brake, of course, and make sure we are pushing the side button, etc. We DO have the electronic transmission on our 2012 X5, so we are familiar with it.

For the rest of the day there is never any issue (unless it's sat for many hours).

Any thoughts?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Congratulations on the new purchase. I too have an '08 650i convertible (in manual) in Northern Va. You see some, but not too many in this area. Can't help with the reverse problem, but am happy to welcome you to the club. Good luck getting it sorted out.
Hi ! With any transmission issue on these cars I think people have learned to do a transmission reset!!! This can iron out any odd issues. When this is done the transmission then learns your driving style over a period of time. Many who do this see real changes to how the car runs. This is something that does work and is easy to do!!
Firstly put your foot on the accelerator to the floor, switch on the ignition to position 2, this is the point BEFORE you start the car so all ignition lights are on!! hold this position for approx 45 secs. Then switch off!! Start the car and just go out for a drive, it takes a while for the car to relearn but once it does then you really start to get the best out of it......
As mentioned this does iron out anomalies in the transmission hopefully correcting any problems!!!!!
+1:)

I have a friend in Singapore that just got a 2007 528i. He had a hesitation issue. I had him do the trans. reset and worked like a charm.

Give it a try.
Hi ! With any transmission issue on these cars I think people have learned to do a transmission reset!!! This can iron out any odd issues. When this is done the transmission then learns your driving style over a period of time. Many who do this see real changes to how the car runs. This is something that does work and is easy to do!!
Firstly put your foot on the accelerator to the floor, switch on the ignition to position 2, this is the point BEFORE you start the car so all ignition lights are on!! hold this position for approx 45 secs. Then switch off!! Start the car and just go out for a drive, it takes a while for the car to relearn but once it does then you really start to get the best out of it......
As mentioned this does iron out anomalies in the transmission hopefully correcting any problems!!!!!
Thanks for the suggestions.

The car is at the dealer and he said that he would be resetting it. But, it will be good to know how to do it myself once the car is out of warranty.

After what you explained, I have high hopes. I'll repost once I get it back.
i

Thanks for the wishes. Yes, you are correct. I rarely see them around here. I envy your manual. That would have been my first choice, but these old knees need a break. :)
Congratulations on the new purchase. I too have an '08 650i convertible (in manual) in Northern Va. You see some, but not too many in this area. Can't help with the reverse problem, but am happy to welcome you to the club. Good luck getting it sorted out.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.