BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Tom
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 Z3 with 126K mi developed a leak in the left axle seal of the differential. I brought it to a local shop to replace. They did. But finding the part took a couple days then when it was received it apparently did not include a clip or pin they needed to install it correctly. (Maybe there are two part numbers or two types for this reason I don't know yet.) The local shop got another part from a local BMW dealer which they say seemed to them not to fit easily, but they did get it installed. So they went looking and found there was a recall to replace the differential. (I don't have a date of recall yet and I could not find a recall listed on the dealers site as it says no recalls for this VIN.) But they did get it installed

I talked to a service rep from the same BMW dealership that supplied the part to this local shop and they confirmed there is no recall, but added it may have been a service bulliton. I don't know how a service bulliton and a recall could be confused, but the shop has told me on the phone they printed out this document they are calling a recall and I will see it when I pick up the car Monday morning. Then I plan to take it to the BMW dealer and based on that information and try to resolve what is going on. My concern is of course that their may be a problem with the differential, but no help to get it fixed.

Is anyone knowledgeable on the 98 Z3's and this issue with the differential?

Many thanks,

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,850 Posts

·
Tom
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, just checked them. No mention of recall or complaints found.

To make the initial post shorter and less confusing I left out a failed first replacement of the seal. The local shop put a new seal in 4 months ago when the original seal was found leaking during shock installation. Now it was found to be leaking badly last week. They had trouble finding a new seal this week for warranty replacement (their policy) and eventually found one at a local BMW dealer. I pick up the car Monday but in their call to tell me it as ready they communicated this recall thing, and some issue about a pin or clip that was needed that was not on the first seal replacement put in 4 months ago. This clip or pin evidentially connects to the axle and since it was missing when the car was turned the seal could leak. I'm not knowledgeable about the differential or how the seals actually work beyond sealing the fluids in around the axle. So I am wondering in anyone is familiar with anything like this??

Thanks for reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts