Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first time on the forums. I am a first time BMW owner - F10 535i 2011 (made in sep 2010), I am having issues with my air conditioning. My Air conditioning used to work a few months ago as it should, but recently it's been having issues.

When I start the car and turn on the AC, it will run for about 10-15 seconds, slowly decreasing the air output without me touching any buttons and then it will just shut off. As the car runs for a while it may come back on reduced air output for 10 seconds at most.

Trying to identify the issue, I have taken apart the blower motor assembly, cleaned it, and reassembled it,

I had low system voltage and a battery with a lower than nominal charge, so I replaced the alternator and had the battery charged, now the system voltage is good,

I tested all the fuses and they were all fine, and there were no other apparent electrical issues.

What could be the issue? Could it be the Final Stage Resistor, or the Blower motor resistor, or a relay? Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The climate control module (IHKA in BMWspeak) controls the climate control. It has at least one if not two sensors that check the passenger cabin’s temperature. The IHKA has a small fan that blows cabin air over the temperature sensor. Sometimes that fan stops working or there’s some dust on the sensor. The first thing I’d do is to take a can of compressed air (don’t use compressed air from a auto shop as it likely has too much water/humidity in the air) and blow it into the grills on the IHKA. That should get rid of any dust on the sensor. If that doesn’t fix the problem I’d check the refrigerant pressures (high side and low side). The ac compressor needs to be running to check the pressures.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The symptom that the blower slowly decreases rather than suddenly cutting off indicates a problem other than fuses and relays, or a faulty blower. Fuses and relays are equivalent to "on or off" switches.
marcozandrini is spot on, that the blower is getting incorrect information as to how to behave.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 328i. My blower motor caught fire & melted the wiring. Shortly after we replaced the part, a recall was sent to me for the blower motor to be repaired at the dealership. Check to see if your model was part of the recall. My car was in the dealer 19 times the 1st few months of owning it & it everything down to the motor were replaced do to a recall of a bolt that had sheared off into the engine. No one caught it. Now my car cranks, but won’t start. We’re trying the fuel pump relay since the fuel pump doesn’t try to start, but engine cranks??? The car will be going in for recalls as soon as I’m able to get it running again.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 4 of 4 Posts