BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, my family has purchased 2 BMWs at VOB BMW dealer on Rockville Pike in Bethesda Maryland. They put my 34 year old son through 8 hours of wheeling and dealing and then, deception. It was after he signed his agreement paper to puchase a new X5 that the sales manager hit him an additional $1,500
former lease charge ! I have dealt with several BMW dealers who well represent their product, but this dealersship plays all the games and then some.
Has anyone else had any bad experiences with this large dealership ?

10,983 Posts
VOB is evil.

Plain and simple.

The real question is "has anyone had good experiences with them?"

· I know a thing or two...
7,678 Posts
djnemo said:
Unfortunately, my family has purchased 2 BMWs at VOB BMW dealer on Rockville Pike in Bethesda Maryland. They put my 34 year old son through 8 hours of wheeling and dealing and then, deception. It was after he signed his agreement paper to puchase a new X5 that the sales manager hit him an additional $1,500
former lease charge ! I have dealt with several BMW dealers who well represent their product, but this dealersship plays all the games and then some.
Who was the sales manager? I'll bet I could guess his name...

· M Mad
10,530 Posts
VOB is one of the worst in the area. The parts people are even stupid.

I had myy Dad pick up parts to install my SS exhaust on the Roadster while I was out of the country. They sold him ONE exhaust sealing ring for an M Roadster. Hmmm, dual exhausts, one sealing ring, NOT.

Avoid VOB at all costs. And any dealer that tries to hit me with ANY additional costs, has me walking, and requiring an additional discount to get me to come back.

· Registered
180 Posts
Pinecone said:
The parts people are even stupid.
Sorry for the hijack but I've got to relay a stupid parts story. I call up BMW of Arlington to get a price quote on a 95 E36 vert battery. He asked me for the last 7 of my VIN but I didn't have it readily available. I ask why he needed that, he says to determine whether it was an E36 or E46 vert that I was talking about. Amazing..... E46 verts didn't come out until 2000.

· Registered
19 Posts
djnemo said:
I was at VOB a few years back to look at a 328i that had just come off lease. I called in advance to let them know what car I wanted to look at and what time I would be there. When I arrived the car was being in storage at another location. When the finally got it, it was very dirty. The exterior looked like it hadn't been washed in months and the interior had mud all over the floor mats.

I asked the salesperson about the condition of the car and the fact that I told them that I wanted to test drive this specific vehicle and why was it not ready and clean when I arrived. His reply was, "Do you know how many calls we get and people don't show up." He also commented on how it was a privelege to own a BMW and that if I wasn't interested, that there are many others that would be more than willing to purchase their cars.

The sales staff and sales manager that I met later were complete a**holes and I have never been back.

· There and back again
2,623 Posts
JoeCinVa said:
Sorry for the hijack but I've got to relay a stupid parts story. I call up BMW of Arlington to get a price quote on a 95 E36 vert battery. He asked me for the last 7 of my VIN but I didn't have it readily available. I ask why he needed that, he says to determine whether it was an E36 or E46 vert that I was talking about. Amazing..... E46 verts didn't come out until 2000.
When I have my car serviced at my dealer, I often sit in the part of the lounge where I can observe the parts counter*. You'd be amazed at the number of people who come in, sure that they need some exact item, and then come back because it wasn't the part for their car model. And it isn't just the end users - mechanics do this as well. So when you ask for an item, it makes sense for them to get the last 7 of the VIN to save them the hassle. Just because we're more clueful doesn't mean it is obvious to the parts people.

* This often gets interesting, because when the parts guys get a strange request they'll call me over and go "Hey, Terry, will this work?" I'll also advise people on how to remove / replace a part they just bought if they ask.

· Registered
51 Posts
djnemo said:
I don't want to be an azz but was your son being held for 8 hour or could he have walked and was the additional $1500 on the contract prior to signing or after?

· Registered
1,068 Posts
For an alternative try Passport BMW. It may be a lot farther away, but the service is great. I've currently go to Tischer, and its OK, but no where near Passport regarding service.

10,983 Posts
Pinecone said:
Montgomery County Consumer Protection group. Good group, they WILL go after people like that. :)
It sounds a lot like he was hit with an off-lease charge for his prior vehicle. That doesn't look like it's strictly part of the purchase negotiations.

10,983 Posts
Menscha said:
If the vehicle in question were part of the deal I would assume a full disclosure would apply.
Not if the lease inspection didn't occur until after he'd negotiated his price.

The bastards at VOB deserve to die, but an off-lease charge isn't necessarily evil.

· M Mad
10,530 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
It sounds a lot like he was hit with an off-lease charge for his prior vehicle. That doesn't look like it's strictly part of the purchase negotiations.
That should have been inlcuded in the discussion prior to signing.

Waiting until after signing is pulling a fast one, trying to get you to agree to what you think is a better price, then adding other fees/charges.

I walked on a deal when the dealership tried to add a $15 loan origination fee on at delivery (ordered car). Of course they didn't let me out the door. :) I negotiated an on the road price, and that was the price I was going to pay, no more.

And if they neogtiate a price, THEN inpect the lease of trade in, to bad on them.

7,678 Posts
Pinecone said:
That should have been inlcuded in the discussion prior to signing.

Waiting until after signing is pulling a fast one, trying to get you to agree to what you think is a better price, then adding other fees/charges.

I walked on a deal when the dealership tried to add a $15 loan origination fee on at delivery (ordered car). Of course they didn't let me out the door. :) I negotiated an on the road price, and that was the price I was going to pay, no more.

And if they neogtiate a price, THEN inpect the lease of trade in, to bad on them.
An off-lease inspection is done at turn in, which is usually after you come to an agreement on the terms of the new car deal. So, it isn't really reasonable to expect to know in advance what charges you'll have on your off lease vehicle. You might turn in the car that same day, but you could also turn it in days, weeks or months later with more miles and potentially more wear.

A trade-in is inspected at the time of working the deal to determine its exact value (ACV). A lease return is not a trade in, so they don't have to even bother to look at it until you turn it in.

To the original poster, you have the right to request that the car be inspected by a 3rd party inspector. Feel free to call BMWFS and request this. However, beware that the results are binding, and there is a good chance that you might actually get charged more than what the dealer charged.

· M Mad
10,530 Posts
Sorry, if I am turning in a leased car as part of a new car deal, then I expect a final price upon signing. Yes, if the deal is going to be completed later (ordered car) I would expect that there might be some reasonable and verifiable changes.

But the post suggested this was a same day deal, and I would not sign without a final figure.

You do have to realize that this dealer has been know as a sleazeball place for YEARS. They were the local Fiat dealer back when I had my 850 Spider, and they were a sleazeball then.

7,678 Posts
Pinecone said:
You do have to realize that this dealer has been know as a sleazeball place for YEARS. They were the local Fiat dealer back when I had my 850 Spider, and they were a sleazeball then.
I agree with you-- we normally look at a customer's lease return with them and let them know what to expect.

As for your statement above, I never said I didn't agree. :eeps: I've had my own share of experiences with them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.