BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got an Airbag Warning light lit on my dash and I've been trying to troubleshoot for a while. Bentley manual says I can't check this system out, has to be done at a dealer. I have an OBDII code reader which I scanned the car with, but can't see any codes shown for the airbag system. So I took the car to my local trusted Indy shop for them to check the codes with their software (not sure what they use, but it gives more detailed info than my handheld Actron reader). They tell me that they can't determine from the code they read what the problem is... so they are recommending I go to the dealer.

Oh, coincidentally, the warning light lit remarkably right at 100k miles on the car... not sure if that means anything, I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe there's something special about hitting that mileage mark.

Is there any troubleshooting I can do with this system to figure out what sensor has gone bad? Is it possible to trigger a false problem by accidentally unplugging something? I ask this because I've been letting my girlfriend drive the car for a while and she likes to stuff things like her purse and books under the seats and such... I wouldn't put it past her to knock something loose. :)

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Nothing you can do, unfortunately. You need to find an independent mechanic with a GT1, Modic3, Autologic, or similar. Nothing special about 100k miles.

It's *usually* a seat weight or seatbelt sensor. Unfortunately I don't know of any way to troubleshoot these yourself.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info... not what I wanted to hear, but then again it is what I expected. So is the airbag system completely inop now that the light is on?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi possible shes knocked the occupancy sensor module which is under the passenger seat check anything hasnt unplugged and have you tried having the light reset otherwise a common fault is the occupancy mat itself in the passenger seat which go faulty on e46 these are expensive basically tells the airbags that there is someone in the passenger seat so knows wether to set them off or not cheap fix can be found on ebay for this but either way you need someone with a good code reader to find the exact fault and clear the light good luck

·
Registered
621 Posts
a good possibility that a connector under the seat was rattled...did not get year of your car..some vehicles have sensor inside of the seat..it checks for weight of occupant to save airbag if seat is empty..some older models have sensor in seatbelt push button portion...peak research makes a tool to read airbag codes..consider disco of battery first and check under seats for loose connection...try to read codes..if it is the pad in seat and is $$$ do google search as some owners have just by-passed this seat pad with a resister...but they risk blowing the airbag for that seat if unoccupied.

·
Registered
13 Posts
my 535i , yer i know she's gettin old but i luv the car ..she got a few issues ...(1)some times the instrument panel just turns off,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts