BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that their 7 Series registers a speed that is actually 2mph below the readout on the HUD/Speedometer? I often use those cop-less speed traps to "calibrate" my true speed and I've noticed in all such instances that my actual speed (according to the radar) was 2mph less than the readout from the speed traps. I am seeing this in my current 7 and had the exact same experience with my M6.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
In Europe, manufacturers can be fined HIGHLY if the speedometer reads to slow IE showing 60 when you are doing 61. That's why a lot of them have a 1-2MPH difference. For instance Active Cruise on my 760 does 1MPH below what I really set it to so I have to set it at 76 to actually go 75.

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,353 Posts
My "d",at highway speeds at least,reads about 3mph higher than does my TomTom.I've read that even the cheap GPS devices are very accurate when it comes to speed indicated.I,too,have read that European car makers are subject to heavy penalties if their vehicles show a "slow" speedometer and,assuming there's no penalty for "fast" speedometers,it makes sense for them to build in a slight "error".

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In Europe, manufacturers can be fined HIGHLY if the speedometer reads to slow IE showing 60 when you are doing 61. That's why a lot of them have a 1-2MPH difference.
Very interesting! It now makes perfect sense. Thanks!:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.