BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so spoiled. I'm used to the auto feature. No idea why it stopped working today, but I'm so use to it that I almost walked off with my trunk open. I pushed the close button and expected it to just work. Car goes in to BMW to get it repaired next week.

Has anyone else had a problem with this?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine starting to work intermittently, sometimes it open slightly and stop. Could you post here what has been repaired, so I can ask my workshop to take a look before it completely stop working.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,068 Posts
I had the reverse issue (only opening a few inches but always closing) which was repaired with adjusting the latching mechanism and a software update.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine barely opens and won't close at all without pushing it down. Those powered trunks are hard to move too!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the reverse issue (only opening a few inches but always closing) which was repaired with adjusting the latching mechanism and a software update.
I just hope if it is a software update it does not mess up my coding on the car.

·
Super Moderator
7,068 Posts
I just hope if it is a software update it does not mess up my coding on the car.
When the dealer updates vehicle firmware, technicians do not pick and choose which ECU modules to flash. It is based on newest software available. Therefore, only coding on ones with newer available than existing software will be reset back to factory.

It is easy enough to compare vehicle files to backups after service and change as needed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a similar problem.

My trunk opens wonderfully. But when I press the "close button" it doesn't move at all (no sounds can heard either).

Took it to the dealer -- they said it was the latch. But latch is not covered my extended warranty (convenient for them!).

I'm wondering how can it be the latch? The "automatic closing" part of it doesn't even start to move. I would expect the latch would come into play when the trunk was getting close to getting completely close to lock and secure the trunk.

EDIT:

Also noticed my trunk light doesn't work...and the passenger side view mirror no longer automatically adjusts downwards while reversing. (However, looks like I am able to adjust the mirrror manually using the controls on the driveside arm rest). Not sure if these problem are related.

·
Registered
587 Posts
...and the passenger side view mirror no longer automatically adjusts downwards while reversing. (However, looks like I am able to adjust the mirrror manually using the controls on the driveside arm rest). Not sure if these problem are related.
For the passenger rear view mirror issue, check to make sure that the mirror adjusting selector switch is to the left position. It has to be in the left position for the passenger mirror to automatically deflect.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I dropped the car off this morning. I was told it might take until Thursday to repair it. That seems a bit long to me, but at least they were able to give me a loaner. Right now I'm driving a Tiguan since all of their BMW loaners were already out. I sure hope that it does not take that long to repair. I miss my car. They will trade this loaner out for a BMW once they have one available though.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe it's a fuse. When you use the key to unlock, did it make a click sound?
It did not so I don't think that is it. but thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you tried opening with the control inside the cabin by the driver's foot rest? It fix a similar problem I had.
That didn't work either.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the word back from the dealer today. It needs a new motor. So we are driving around in an X4 until the part comes in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts