BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Just bought me a 2002 BMW 325xi about 2 weeks ago and it just started acting up a few days ago. It's my first BMW and I'm loving it besides the sunroof which is a common problem I've heard, and the truck likes to pop open. And it's not me hitting the button or the key. I didn't even have the key, and I was getting something out of the back seat and i heard the trunk release. And the. I heard it try to unlatch about 4 more times. It's done this multiple times. Anyone know what it is??!??! :dunno:

Thanks for anything!!
-Casey

·
Rambling Wreck
2,073 Posts
It's possible that the trunk lid wire harness has frayed to the point where the trunk actuator wire is making contact with another hot wire, causing the trunk to pop repeatedly. Click the "Trunk Wire Harness" link in my signature to learn more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll take a look at it tomorrow and let you know if that was it.

As far as the sunroof goes. Do you know if theres one or two motors on the sunroof. I've read around and found problems with the sunshade, but mine, the passenger side track moves and the driver side doesn't at all. With the glass in, it makes a grinding noise, but with the glass out the passenger side moves freely for the most part. I am a somewhat experienced mechanic, but mainly with engines. Should I just carry it to a BMW dealer to get it fixed. I'm about 10000 miles from my next inspection.

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
Before getting in the hassle of disassembling the trunk wiring loom, thoroughly check the unlock button in the console. A known failure point, might be shorting out and sending false signals to the module, especially if it has been given a sip of cola in the past.

Sunroof is another known failure point. BMW came up with a repair kit that strenghtened the pusher mechanism and runners to try and fix for good the binding/crunching issue. Might want to inquire with the dealer if it can qualify as under warranty of some sort. Awhile back I put up the whole series of official BMW procedures for fixing the sunroof, you might want to search my threads for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.