BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Matching beemer & bimmer
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not sure what it's called but my yellow pull-tab trunk-release wire won't stay put.

I'm not sure why I'd need it, but, if I ever kidnap anyone, I would like that tab to be snugly set where it belongs so the kidnapee can find it and leap out of the moving car just moments before I sneak across the Mexican border (besides, it would makes the police-chase videos more dramatic, hence driving up the value per minute).

My question (just curious):
- Is this a common failure (albeit minor)?

P.S. I ran a search but didn't know what to call this pull tab.

Attachments

· Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!
1,498 Posts
shaftdrive said:
I'm not sure what it's called but my yellow pull-tab trunk-release wire won't stay put.

I'm not sure why I'd need it, but, if I ever kidnap anyone, I would like that tab to be snugly set where it belongs so the kidnapee can find it and leap out of the moving car before I sneak across the Mexican border (besides, it could makes the police-chase videos more dramatic, hence driving up the value per minute).

My question (just curious):
- Is this a common failure (albeit minor)?
I didnt fail. Push the round hole in the handle over the 'nub' that sticks out from the trunk, and then push HARD on the handle to force the 'nub' into the narrow slow that extends from the round hole. That will re-secure the handle to the 'nub.'

· Matching beemer & bimmer
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Bart001 said:
That will re-secure the handle to the 'nub.'
I should have mentioned I (and a few coworkers) already tried that for more than a month.

From the photo it's hard to tell that the hole in the handle is "worn", but, it just won't stay. Sure, it will "look" like it stays, but, next time I open the trunk, there it is dangling like that droopy rose plucked from my neighbor's unwatered garden just last night for my wife's birthday today.

Worse yet, as we futzed with the tab, we found (later) the trunk would not lock. For three days my wife drove around with the trunk swaying in the breeze because we didn't realize at the time that if you pull too hard on the wire as you heroically try to get it to just stay on that plastic nub, the trunk won't lock no matter how many times you slam it or press the button or use the key.

It's definately broken. It's probably not an expensive part (covered under the warranty perhaps?). But, I was jes' wondering if this is a common failure for BMW cars (being as I've only owned one since March).

· Registered
44 Posts
My dealerr noticed mine was broke after I brought the car in for services. They didnt charge me anything but they had to order it becuase it wasnt in stock. They called two days later and I stopped by for 10 minetes and it was done in pronto time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.