Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question , are the gas shocks supposed to open the trunk completely ? Mine doesnt , Is there any aftermarket suppliers of these ?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
First, the colder it gets outside the less effective they are. And after a few years they loose their air pressure and while the trunk should open all the way, basically it just unlatches and the horror is that you have to actually lift the trunk lid manually.

·
Michael
2,207 Posts
Agree, since new, my struts have never opened the boot from closed, you have to lift the boot lid aided by the struts. the struts are fine they hold boot lid open safely and allow a controlled close. The only time the boot opens from closed is when you have the boot opening option ie fully motorized!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
^^^
Don't think that's true. I bought mine 3 years old and in summer it opened all the way but would only open half way in winter. The dealer replaced the shocks under warranty and for a couple years it would open all the way in summer and winter. Now in winter it just opens about 1/4 of the way.

·
Michael
2,207 Posts
Perhaps we are considered stronger in the UK : popcorn:

·
Registered
238 Posts
So mine were replaced under warranty 3 years ago. On a 20 F day last week it would basically just unlatch. Yesterday at 60 F it opened all the way.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you want to have always more tension, than switch to the M6 version, they are stronger due to the additional spoiler.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I replaced with stabilus and they still didnt open . I may try the M6 version as the gentleman suggested.

Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Thanks, I replaced with stabilus and they still didnt open . I may try the M6 version as the gentleman suggested.

Thanks for the tips

Before spending your money on M6 trunk struts/shocks...you may want to simply look up the part nbr for your car using one of the major online part database sites...then click on the part nbr to see if the M6 uses the same part nbr. It may save you some money and possible disappointment. ;)

If you're not familiar with any online part database sites...here's 3 of my favs. Type in the last 7 digits of your VIN to make the database specific to your BMW:
  1. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
  2. http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/
  3. https://bimmercat.com/
Check to see if item #8 in the diagram below (for the f12 "vert" trunk lid) is the same part nbr for the M6 version of your 6 series:

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,373 Posts
Our correspondents here prate so knowledgably on PV=nRT in tires while the same physics apply to gas struts. Anyone ever considered using the proper lubricant for the seals and cylinder?

That said, I have the electric motor struts that I inspect and clean regularly, hopefully avoiding the $500 each replacement cost.

·
Michael
2,207 Posts
The M6 may have a lighter boot as part of the weight saving for the model, if so M6 struts won't help. As mentioned by boot has never risen to open from brand new, I do perceive they can be temperature sensitive as many have highlighted. I just accept that the boot opens slightly and I lift it all the way!
As for Doug's comment you'll find he is our roving insulter he drops into mosts forums with his words of how smart he is, best do like the rest and just ignore, unless he is being too personal : popcorn:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I'm going to live with it for now, just seems odd for a car of this calibre. It's a silly nuance I suspect. All good, thanks everyone.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,373 Posts
I guess I'm going to live with it for now, just seems odd for a car of this calibre. It's a silly nuance I suspect. All good, thanks everyone.

Please consider lubricating the piston.

·
Registered
279 Posts
They are not meant to lift the lid on the vert. They didn't do so on the previous E64 either (I owned one) From a movement and angles point of view there is no way for this to work given the size and range of motion of the hinge. This is due to the split deck design. Mercedes overcame this in the s-class convertible by using an electronic lifter, possibly a spindle drive, to do the heavy lifting (pun intended).

In traditional, non electronic sedan-type setups the trunk self opening is often achieved with a reverse tension spring coupled with a gas strut to control the motion (so it doesn't just fly open). This requires a goosneck hinge to achieve. There is simply no way to achieve this on the 6er convertible.

Moral of the story is save your money and stop buying new struts since none of them will pop the trunk open.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The M6 may have a lighter boot as part of the weight saving for the model, if so M6 struts won't help.
Nope, they are stronger to lift also the spoiler which is mounted to the trunk.
I was forced to use also the M6 struts because I have retrofitted the spoiler.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Nope, they are stronger to lift also the spoiler which is mounted to the trunk.
I was forced to use also the M6 struts because I have retrofitted the spoiler.
SM...I think your (f13) coupe situation is different than the f12 vert and f06 GC in that the f13 M6 uses a different trunk shock than the other f13 models.

For the f12 vert and f06 GC...the M6 versions use the same trunk shock as the other models.

The f13 coupes use: 51247360584 from 7/2013-up or 51247228501 up to 7/2013
The f13 M6 uses: 51248061094 (which supersedes the old part nbr 51248059999)​

(see item #6 in diagram below)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts