BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 BMW 323i
The other day I closed my trunk, have since been unable to get it back open unless I use the key, which is difficult still. It displays the trunk open light on the dash when I pull away from a stop. As well, the license plate light does not work, nor does any of the LEFT SIDE lights on the trunk. No power options work to open the truck. The Valet switch is not the issue. The fuse is not broken. Wires seem to be all in order and working. Any idea on a fix. I do not live by a dealership, nor do I really have the money to fix it. So any tips would be great for some simple things to maybe try at home. P.S. (Car is a left hand drive, I see lots of confusion about the driver side and passenger side)

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Your car is an E90. It likely has wires that run from the body to the trunk lid. Those wires are housed in an “elephant trunk” to protect the wires. What happens is after innumerable open/close cycles one or more wires breaks. The only solution is to repair the wires by replacing the broken sections with new, high quality, multi-strand wires.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,622 Posts
The other day I closed my trunk, have since been unable to get it back open unless I use the key, which is difficult still.
In addition to Marco's advice to check the trunk harness, you may also want to clean and re-lubricate the trunk latch, striker, and lock cylinder mechanisms. This is an oft-neglected maintenance task that might contribute to your problems. The key should turn fairly easily and a dirty latch mechanism may require more operating force than the actuator can provide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. The trunk makes no engaging noise. So I am assuming it is probably the electrical issue. But I will try to lube them up tonight and see, never thought of that. ***x1f44d;***x1f3fd;

1 - 4 of 4 Posts