BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am unable to open the trunk using the key fob. I also cannot open it using the buttons in the car. The only way for me to open the trunk is with the key inside the fob.

Strange think is that when the trunk is already open, pressing the trunk key in the fob seems to release a latch in the trunk lid. So I believe the key fob and electronics are working. Just not sure what happens when the lid is closed.

Any ideas!? The trunk is not in the locked position.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine does the same... Sometimes it will open using the fob, sometimes it won't. My fob needs to be recharged, but I haven't needed to drive over three hours straight lately. Still works with the inside button though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Frayed wire in the loom... discussed frequently here. Check the wires by the trunk hinge on the passengers side (will need to take off a trim piece). For me it was a brown wire, wrap any wires with frayed insulation with electrical tape as a quick fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lewis, thanks but I don't think we have the same problem. My buttons don't work as well. Thanks for trying to help nevertheless.

Patryan, thanks. Frayed wire in the loom - I will definitely look that up. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Good luck... you'll probably find that with the trunk open the wires are placed differently and it may function normally. I had mine not functioning and had 2 different things going on... one like yours (would only open with key) and worse, wouldn't latch closed (and I had to tie it down!)

·
Registered
611 Posts
I am unable to open the trunk using the key fob. I also cannot open it using the buttons in the car. The only way for me to open the trunk is with the key inside the fob.

Strange think is that when the trunk is already open, pressing the trunk key in the fob seems to release a latch in the trunk lid. So I believe the key fob and electronics are working. Just not sure what happens when the lid is closed.

Any ideas!? The trunk is not in the locked position.
Did you check to make sure the valet feature isnt the culprit? Double check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
This is not a valet issue. The only way to enable and disable valet in this car is by locking the trunk with the key by turning the key to the right. I have been able to open the trunk with the key, so the valet is automatically disabled once I do that. The problem is that all buttons don't function even after the valet mode has been disabled.

Patryan was spot on! I took apart some of the panels in the trunk and then cut the covering off the wires that went to the trunk latch. Once the wires were exposed, I noticed that the entire set of wires was in bad shape. Many were exposed and were likely shorting with each other, and a couple had completely broken off.

I tried to fix the wiring myself, but frankly it would have taken me several hours and be back breaking work given the location of the wires. I decided to take it to a local BMW repair shop and they charged me $145 for repairing all wires in that line. Not a super expensive repair, but one I could have done without.

Thank you to everyone for their consideration and feedback.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:
This is not a valet issue. The only way to enable and disable valet in this car is by locking the trunk with the key by turning the key to the right. I have been able to open the trunk with the key, so the valet is automatically disabled once I do that. The problem is that all buttons don't function even after the valet mode has been disabled.

Patryan was spot on! I took apart some of the panels in the trunk and then cut the covering off the wires that went to the trunk latch. Once the wires were exposed, I noticed that the entire set of wires was in bad shape. Many were exposed and were likely shorting with each other, and a couple had completely broken off.

I tried to fix the wiring myself, but frankly it would have taken me several hours and be back breaking work given the location of the wires. I decided to take it to a local BMW repair shop and they charged me $145 for repairing all wires in that line. Not a super expensive repair, but one I could have done without.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts