BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why the trunk open warning light stays on. The trunk is very secure. However, to make matters worse, the convertible top will not come down because it thinks the trunk is open. It's a 2001 325 CI Convertible. :cry:

Please help
Lisser

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sounds like you may need to recalibrate the trunk sensor.

See what happens when you tape it down. If it stays on, then you have a larger problem.

·
Topless Expert
94 Posts
ACK...that just happened to me too. What it ended up being was that there was actually a wire that was sheared in half. It's located in the "wire sheath" on the right hand side by the trunk hinge when the trunk is open.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mtnbound you are the man. I thought that there could be no way that those wires could get damaged. But, I looked and sure enough 5 wires were cut in half or badly damaged. In 10 minutes it was fixed. Thanks a ton.:rofl:

·
Registered
2 Posts
325 Ci Trunk Warning Light

2001 325 Ci Trunk Warning Light

It was the wiring running from the trunk to the trunk lid. Just like I read in this forum.
I cut open the rubber protector around th ewirin gleading from Trunk to Trunk Lid; and
more than half the wires had cut into. After splicing them back. My trunk light, back0up light, trunk release, and trunk quick open started workering.

Thanks for you help..Houston 7/31/06

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you very much! I had this problem for the last 6 months. I was afraid to take it to the dealer not knowing how much it would cost. Problem solved!

·
Registered
14 Posts
same here broken wires in rubber sheath between trunklid and body. had been previously repaired. broke beside repair if you look at the trunklid closeing you will see the extreme angle of the harness.
dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
What does it cost for the dealer to replace this harness. I have same issue and fixed myself, but the wires are seriously mangled.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
What does it cost for the dealer to replace this harness.
On the E39, parts costs have been determined to be $200 for the loom itself.

We haven't found anyone yet who has paid the stealer to replace, but, your own G.P. Burdell wrote a fantastic E46 DIY that you can follow easily and save tons of money over the stealer.

See this thread today for details:
- E46 (1999 - 2006) > Phantom Trunk Open Indicator

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have this problem too... I'll let you know how the repair goes... I want my top down!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts