BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my 2016 435i in February and am already having issues with it. I took it though one of those laser touch less carwashes and the trunk must have opened during it somehow. It was then filled with water and the tow hook cover was off (which made me notice the water). The light on the dash did not warn me about the trunk being open until I was about 5 miles away. Dealer said it is not covered because I opened the trunk during the car wash and therefore the flooding is user error (no way!). Has anyone else experienced this? Any help moving forward would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
912 Posts
Was your key in the car or were you outside of your car nearby with your key in your pocket?

Tow hooks always fall out in car washes (and other places). After you get a new one, use some silicone behind (not around) it to hold it in tighter. You can always break the seal if needed, but it won't fall out so easily.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,106 Posts
Well--if you didn't get a warning that the trunk was opened (as opposed to just not noticing the warning), THAT should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Another reason why I wash my cars by hand. Any season. I just don't trust car washes not to damage my car - paint, wheels, roof racks, etc.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Hey Ryan. Most of us including me have inadvertently opened the trunk at one time or another. The remote buttons are sensitive. You may want to get a leather cover for those remotes to reduce the chances of this happening in the future.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Keep in mind Comfort Access trunk opening: a foot swipe will open the trunk. I have had the trunk open when doing a car wash with a spray hose. As far as I can tell, it was due to water flow under the rear bumper. As well, the car has locked with sufficient water pressure on the CA pad on the door handle.

If there isn't a way to turn off Comfort Access...there should be!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hey Ryan. Most of us including me have inadvertently opened the trunk at one time or another. The remote buttons are sensitive. You may want to get a leather cover for those remotes to reduce the chances of this happening in the future.
I agree. Shortly after we got the BMW I accidentally opened the trunk twice while the fob was in my jeans pocket. Both times we were in a nearby store and I saw it once and the other time a patron brought it to my attention. I got a fob cover which I dislike, but it hasn't happened since.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,106 Posts
Keep in mind Comfort Access trunk opening: a foot swipe will open the trunk. I have had the trunk open when doing a car wash with a spray hose. As far as I can tell, it was due to water flow under the rear bumper. As well, the car has locked with sufficient water pressure on the CA pad on the door handle.

If there isn't a way to turn off Comfort Access...there should be!
Doesn't the fob have to be directly behind the trunk lid for this to work?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
TBH I did inadvertently leave boot open for an hour after getting shopping in...long enough for a Welsh shower of rain.

:angel:

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I just purchased my 2016 435i in February and am already having issues with it. I took it though one of those laser touch less carwashes and the trunk must have opened during it somehow. It was then filled with water and the tow hook cover was off (which made me notice the water). The light on the dash did not warn me about the trunk being open until I was about 5 miles away. Dealer said it is not covered because I opened the trunk during the car wash and therefore the flooding is user error (no way!). Has anyone else experienced this? Any help moving forward would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan
Not too surprising from the dealers point of view.

·
Registered
7 Posts
and that is why I don't trust with Automatic car washes, It can be anything from swirls to scratches too, i would prefer hand wash, it can even help uncover small defects that might be fixable then and there, before things get out of hand and end up costing you hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
...and then there was the time STMBO inadvertently pressed the button that opens all the flipping windows. Keys buried in her tiny handbag that holds everything but the proverbial. They asked her to empty it at Heathrow once...that was a laff.

:rofl:

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,106 Posts
Where was the key inside the car? If the key is close to the trunk sensors, then water around the trunk kick sensor/bumper will pop open the trunk. The same is true of doors(locked or unlocked due to water).
False. I just tried this. I put the key in the cabin of the car, and tried the kick swipe. I even put the key on the rear parcel shelf right in the rear window. Nothing. The trunk does not open with the kick swipe if the key is inside the cabin of the car.

If you could do that, then it would mean that anyone standing outside of the car could also unlock the CA door handles. So, for example, you stop at a red light, and some vagrant could just pull the door handle and open up the car. What would be the point of the auto locking feature if you could do this. The car knows when the key is inside the cabin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the same thing happen to my 435i twice at the car wash when rinsing the car from behind. I know it's not the key that's triggering it as i put the key on the coin machine in the bay of the car wash. Luckily i haven't drenched my trunk yet but it's kind of annoying to have to be cognizant of it each time i take my car to the car wash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same thing happened to me today on my 340i had car less than a week first car wash and the damm trunk opened thank God I was hand washing so no water got in make me nervous to bring car threw car was now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts